Thread: DIY bowel prep for surgery-ideas,opinions,help

Question DIY bowel prep for surgery-ideas,opinions,help

So my question is? What are your methods for DIY bowel prep for surgery??

I am an L4/L5 para from Spina Bifida....
    i may have to do bowel prep for surgery. (hopefully not, since I've never had to do it for this surgery (bladder stones) before, but it's a new surgeon. So will see...but I digress...

Anyway, I can't drink the magnesium Citrate or golytly because I instantly puke it up (sorry for being gross). This is not a theory or a fear. It's a proven reality. I am also supposed to do an ennema which will never happen because my rectal muscles are completely paralysed and I've been there and "tried that" many many times as a kid. Never was successful and was always a disaster.

Background info that may be pertinent: I currently manage my bowels by eating/not eating certain foods as well as a hot shower to relax my muscles and I manually stimulate to eliminate my bowels. I keep myself slightly constipated on purpose to avoid accidents. So I know there's fecal matter in there that can come out prior to surgery. And my own plan would be to eat the foods that I know make me "go like crazy" and then get on clears the day before surgery. That's the best this surgeon's gonna get from me unfortunately. I've tried all the other "bowel" programs and no other program has worked for me like the one I'm on. Still suggetsions and ideas are welcome. Also opinions on my method are also welcome. please help! Thank you!

For stone removal we don;t require any special bowel prep but just ask that they do it the night before surgery

CWO

I'm curious why you think a bowel prep is necessary for your bladder stone procedure, especially if you've never been required before?

What were your specific instructions for prep, if any?
    Some minor procedures require clear liquid day before, but this doesn't in any way clear your bowels, and it isn't meant to.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcco5543 View Post
    So my question is? What are your methods for DIY bowel prep for surgery??

I am an L4/L5 para from Spina Bifida....
    i may have to do bowel prep for surgery. (hopefully not, since I've never had to do it for this surgery (bladder stones) before, but it's a new surgeon. So will see...but I digress...

Anyway, I can't drink the magnesium Citrate or golytly because I instantly puke it up (sorry for being gross). This is not a theory or a fear. It's a proven reality. I am also supposed to do an ennema which will never happen because my rectal muscles are completely paralysed and I've been there and "tried that" many many times as a kid. Never was successful and was always a disaster.

Background info that may be pertinent: I currently manage my bowels by eating/not eating certain foods as well as a hot shower to relax my muscles and I manually stimulate to eliminate my bowels. I keep myself slightly constipated on purpose to avoid accidents. So I know there's fecal matter in there that can come out prior to surgery. And my own plan would be to eat the foods that I know make me "go like crazy" and then get on clears the day before surgery. That's the best this surgeon's gonna get from me unfortunately. I've tried all the other "bowel" programs and no other program has worked for me like the one I'm on. Still suggetsions and ideas are welcome. Also opinions on my method are also welcome. please help! Thank you!

sorry if I wasn't clear.
    my paperwork for surgery says do bowel prep. I'm going to look into it becuase I've never done bowel prep for stone surgery before and I've been having this surgery for years. This however is a new surgeon so he might be unaware that this is not something i've done in the past. So the bowel prep thing came from the paperwork from the doctor saying i needed it. I just am inquiring about a DIY bowel prep in case i can't get out of it for some reason. I certainly don't think there is any reason i should be doing bowel prep at all..so we'll see.

Try using magnesium supplements instead of the mag citrate. They come in tablet form and might be easier to keep down. 1500-2000 mg in the morning will soften everything up, probably by that night. Add a stimulant like senna or prunes to get things really going.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Not, DIY, but use this (Rx):

http://www.tabletprep.com/index.aspx

WAYYYYY better than the mag cit or the liquid stuff. You have to take ALOT of pills in a short period of time, but its 100x better than the other methods in my opinion.

@zillazangel -- You, my sweet friend, are a goddess for making me aware of OsmoPrep! Why don't more docs know about, and prescribe that??? I just can't conceive of *anyone* who has the ability to swallow pills choosing a gallon of nasty GoLytely over taking pills, even if it is a boatload of 'em (32 total).
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar