Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My new accessible house!

Nice place!

wow, you built almost exactly the same design layopur I'm hoping to build for myself in a few years... beautiful... would it be too forward to ask you the PM me how much the build cost you? I'm trying to guage what mine might cost... love the stone outside, classy

Thanks so much for the photos and congratulations on getting a tough job done!

Thank you for sharing! I think you should make some basic version of the plans (with info about the various details, like kitchen stuff) available for purchase online. This would help people who were trying to design their home. =)

From renovating our current home years ago my guess is those are Kitchenmaid or Merrilat cabinets along with your custom touches. Both of these brands have the hinges on the inside and have easily, like a finger's strength, pulled out shelves inside cabinets and rolling pantry glides as well. We have found some very useful items as we look to renovate a few things mainly to the master bath in our new place at www.kohler.com under AgingInPlace. I really love the roll under sinks and the one thing I insisted on in retirement--a soaking tub! There is already a huge walk in shower for the spousal unit that we can easily make roll in too. Yes, we are getting a lift because I won't let tough guy do anymore heavy lifting whenever possible.
    I love the design of your house too! The ouside is gorgeous and while Maggie will have the run of a wrap around terrace without a leash she wanted a doggie door for her 3am star gazing. She got a dog park that includes swimming in the river with ramps to avoid too much mud 1/2 mile away instead. I know many who build their own houses get stuck in one code quandry in many places--the one step down into the garage. Did you have any problems with building codes?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    We have found some very useful items as we look to renovate a few things mainly to the master bath in our new place at www.kohler.com under AgingInPlace. I really love the roll under sinks and the one thing I insisted on in retirement--a soaking tub!
    I had some difficulty going to the Kohler website and finding the "Aging In Place" materials. Finally, I Googled "Kohler" "Aging In Place" and found a more direct reference that I am add here for reader convenience. Thanks for pointing me toward the materials.

http://www.us.kohler.com/planning/de...tion=3&nitem=1

http://www.us.kohler.com/bold-indepe...duct-solutions

I am looking for a walk-in soaker tub to replace a standard tub in a secondary bathroom. The width and length is no problem, but since there in a low window in this bathroom, I am having difficulty finding a tub of this type that is 32 inches high or less.

All the best,
    GJ

Thanks GL for making those more direct links. I like the idea of the rising wall but think paras or those who can transfer by themselves are better suited for it. Would closing or moving the window upward be unduly expensive? Maybe as part of putting in something like the Rising Wall bath you could change the window upward and put in an opaque glass square tile closed style window?

I know we'll be doing some of this renovation in stages to spread out the cost and some things are not in immediate need. The first step is talking to a general contractor to talk about closing off one door and that will require an electrician, plumber and a drywall and woodwork finisher. But we will gain a lot of unused space to easily turn the new roll under sink/s facing the correct direction for me. Then if we need to stage this I can go with the least expensive way to stay clean first and that is just removing the 4" X 4" step over into the huge walk in shower and finally investing in a real shower chair instead of a bench. And since the former owner was a petite woman we need to switch out the guestroom toilet for something a bit higher for when my Dad visits. Actually the spouse was mentioning how low the johns were too. The soaking tub will come but I don't want to scrimp on that so would rather wait if I have to until next spring. Right now I think the Caribbean model may be one for me in the color sandbar that goes with the rest of the current parts of the room we're keeping. http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...ge=0-730695867
    Last edited by Sue Pendleton; 07-10-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: To add a link.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Skip the Caribbean tub. To skip having to cut into the back of another bedroom's closet I needed to go smaller. And my designer found a much better option for soaking. It's a Japanese style style soaking tub that will fit in the 4 foot square area that now holds a make up table. Just search for "underscore cube tub" on the Kohler site. Because it is acrylic I can have the main faucet and drain at one end and the handheld faucet for washing my hair and cleaning the tub at mid back. Yes, I'm going for all the bubbles. There will be a grab bar to my left at the back of the tub in case I slide under.

Beautiful house. I would love to be able to get under the sink when I do dishes. Right now I open the cupboard doors so my knees can at least get in. Doing dishes sideways for so many years, sucks.

Congratulations. Oh access, sweet access :-)

You've got a beautiful home!