Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm Experiencing Crazy Caster Flutter!!!

I dont have a clear picture of the problem, in my head. The elastomers are a little loose? Hmmmm. Mine have small metal flat washers (solid, no hole) on each end of the elastomer. If those were missing the would wiggle a little. How does the wheel move up and down? What piece is doing the moving?

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I dont have a clear picture of the problem, in my head. The elastomers are a little loose? Hmmmm. Mine have small metal flat washers (solid, no hole) on each end of the elastomer. If those were missing the would wiggle a little. How does the wheel move up and down? What piece is doing the moving?
    The wheel itself has room to move a hair up and down. And the space above and below the elastomers are also causing movement. The tech said the wheels are perpendicular to the floor but I don't think so. I'm going to find something today that has a good 90 degree corner to verify.

What can I do to alleviate the problem?
    Never Give Up!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbleChef View Post
    The wheel itself has room to move a hair up and down. And the space above and below the elastomers are also causing movement. The tech said the wheels are perpendicular to the floor but I don't think so. I'm going to find something today that has a good 90 degree corner to verify.

What can I do to alleviate the problem?
    So, the wheel itself moves? Ugh. Is there obvious play between the axel and the hole it goes through in the fork? Or does the movement come from 'inside' the wheel. Here are my ideas:

Axel with too small OD.
    Bearings with too big ID.
    Spacers not installed inside the casters, between bearings.
    Flat washer not installed on top and bottom of elastomer.

I wish I were closer, I'd just take it apart. It's probably something missing, like the internal spacers, or something that was replaced isn't quite the right size.

Does the caster have any side to side play?

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    So, the wheel itself moves? Ugh. Is there obvious play between the axel and the hole it goes through in the fork? Or does the movement come from 'inside' the wheel. Here are my ideas:

Axel with too small OD.
    Bearings with too big ID.
    Spacers not installed inside the casters, between bearings.
    Flat washer not installed on top and bottom of elastomer.

I wish I were closer, I'd just take it apart. It's probably something missing, like the internal spacers, or something that was replaced isn't quite the right size.

Does the caster have any side to side play?
    There is definitely movement in the wheel but not much. When I grab the wheel I can feel movement when I move it up and down. Where are the spacers located? I have feeling these guys don't have a clue as to set up Frog Legs before. I am NEVER going back to these guys to have wheelchair repairs.
    Never Give Up!

Blog Entries
    Chef, can you take a couple of good close-up photos of the wheel & fork and post it?
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbleChef View Post
    There is definitely movement in the wheel but not much. When I grab the wheel I can feel movement when I move it up and down. Where are the spacers located? I have feeling these guys don't have a clue as to set up Frog Legs before. I am NEVER going back to these guys to have wheelchair repairs.

The spacers I'm thinking about live between the bearings in the center of the hub. There should be one on each side, which help stabilize the axle as it passed through the empty space between the 2 bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    Chef, can you take a couple of good close-up photos of the wheel & fork and post it?
    No problem I've been thinking about doing that. Where's the emoticon with the guy slapping himself on the forehead?
    Never Give Up!

Call frog legs, they can install different bearings which will help control caster flutter, if the chair is a ti-lite they will install some spacer on the bearing that ti-lite doesnt let them put on, or so the guy at frog legs told me. I had the heavy duty bearings installed, it helped a little with the flutter.

So i went back to the shop to have them fix it...again. They did fix the flutter but now the fork is too tight. It's not easy to turn and i feel like I'm being pulled when turning. The tech said that he could only leave it the way it was before or have tight. I didn't believe but i was with a friend and didn't want to argue. The owner came over after i asked how the bearing was messed up on the wheel and he said it was installed incorrectly but failed to apologize as it was their store who installed them. I'm thinking about adjusting them myself.

The tech said he had to take off the elastomer and tightened a bolt or nut underneath.
    Is this correct? Can i do myself?
    Never Give Up!