Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New bed - with MS.

Not quite sure how all that works. BC/BS says they pay the equivallent of 10 months rent...but the supllier says "no returns".

Wow, that's not good...no returns sounds pretty definite, regardless of what the insurance company will pay. I guess as a "why not?" measure, you could call Transfer Master and explain your situation, asking if they ever provide direct assistance to customers (either in the form of adjusted payments or support letters to insurance companies).

Another thing you might look into is whether or not the MS Society (either the national organization or a local branch) offers grants for needs of this kind. Where I live, the local group does annual fundraisers and maintains a $6000 pool for people who need beds, ramps, equipment and so on.

If there's no way in the world to get a Transfer Master, then I hope the Flexabed will be a viable alternative. I note on the Flexabed website that they do make a high-low model, and that is clearly what you need, with your history of falling when getting in/out of bed.

Glad you are OK Mona. I'm doing the same thing (losing weight) and I'm very aware of my bony ass.

Somebody who is really missing in action is MonkeyGirl. She is the ultimate Canucks fan (ice hockey) but was nowhere to be seen during their recent Cup run and celebration riot.

We have that exact bed, a queen Transfer Master. Its a great bed, so sorry to hear you can't get it. We paid 100% out of pocket for it ourselves.

I talked with the supplier yesterday, and he says he's cleared a Hi-Lo FlexiBed with the insurance company. There's a ton of paperwork to go thru, but it sounds like a definite maybe. I'll know more next week.

Hope it works out!

Update: Got a Queen FlexiBed. Insurance paid all but $180. So far, so good. Still need to work out a few kinks for getting in and out...but, no visits from the paramedics yet.

Hey, that's great! Hope you will love your new bed and that those paramedic calls will be a thing of the past. It's excellent that insurance paid as much as it did.

So glad to hear!