Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New bed - with MS.

Back to zero. Insurance will only pay for 10 months rental at $189 per month. What sense does that make? Do they think I'll get over MS in 10 months?

That makes my out-of-pocket around $6,000. I don't think so...

But will they buy it after 10 months because you still need it? Thats how our insurance is.

Not ccertain. My "Insurance Case Mgr" at Wellmark said they expect the 10 months rent to cover their contribution to the bed. Implied I was responsible for the other cost...because I don't qualify fot the bed I want. I'm only 280 pounds instead of 300.

I'd be tempted to gain 20 lbs and then lose it after I got the bed. Easier said than done, though (the losing part)!

Gotta love insurance and all this. seems like there is always some little glitch to try to figure out, why does everything always have to be so difficult? Good luck and keep at them, somebody is bound to shed some light on the matter eventually.

Yeah, wrote a long sad letter to my Insurance Case Worker yesterday (including a letter from my PCP) describing why putting 36 inch wide shoulders in a 38 inch wide bed kind of restricts my movement when I have to turn over...also pointing out that MS doesn't cause muscle wasting, and my 280 pound body is still very powerful even if my nerves can't control it. I broke the arms off a 350 pound rated rollator and I've bent the foot peddles on my 300 pound rated wheelchair.

I need something I'm not going to break...and that I have room to move around in...and that will stand up to the strenght in my upper body.

Probably a waste of time.

Was a waste of time. Insurance would only pay $1890 toward a $7000 bed from TransferMaster. Found a bed from SpinLife that would work for only $2460, but because it doesn't say "hospital bed" on it, insurance won't pay anything.

Crap.

Gotta love this vicious cycle. Have you checked into the sleep number bed? I think our insurance would pay some but only a single, I ended up on a payment plan for the queen size. Just a thought.

I talked with the med equip supplier and asked if he had something BC/BS would pay for...he recommeded www.flexabed.com . He's going to call and verify today.

The saga continues....

You might also consider renting the Transfer Master for the 10-month period your insurance will cover - you might not even like the bed, and at least that way you'd know for sure.