Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New bed - with MS.

New bed - with MS.

So, after another visit from the paramedics to pick me up off the floor after I fell out of bed (no damage, I bounce, I just can't get up), we've decided to get a new bed.

Discussed it with my PT, and she's suggested a Queen size "standard" model from Transfer Master. Its like a regular hospital bed...top lifts up, bottom lifts, and the whole bed starts 18" off the floor and then rises another 10 inches. I'm guessing I'll kind of fold myself up in the middle and the use my stripper pole to pull myself to a standing position.

Anyone have any experience getting out of one of these beds, by yourself, with good upper body strength, but spastic legs?

So sorry to hear your still having problems. I don't know a thing about that bed, but we have a Sleep number bed with the adjustable frame, David still can't get him self out of bed but that's because he has little leg control at all. Wishing you luck.

Wow, I'd never heard of that bed and Googled it - they have a great website! I don't see how you could go wrong, there are so many options and the high-low function sounds like it will really help your particular situation.

You can also get a Transfermaster twin with a clone that doesn't have all the functions. That way your partner in bed won't be effected when you may wish to raise or drop the head or foot of the bed. Both my wife and I have tall twin Transfermasters and they have been very reliable, great for gravity transfers - easy on the shoulders. You may wish to consider battery backup if you experience power failures where you live.

Sounds great I don't know anything about it, but for my bed I sleep on the floor lol...no really I do.

Nothing but a mattress on the floor of around a 14 inch rise so if I do roll out I won't get hurt. I have two walls on each side at the left side and head. On the open side I have a couple of body pillows to form a "wall" so I don't fall out the side.

In case I do though, it will only be a 14 inch drop...not so bad plus the carpet is soft too.

My husband & I have a sleep number that adjusts. We love it! It helps me be able to get out of bed sometimes when my body isn't cooperating. We love that we each can have different hardness/softness levels on our own side of the bed, and I like being able to watch TV while sitting up in bed

Arghhhh...I can't find anybody to sell me one!

Manufacturer will, but they don't handle insurance...local home medical supplier will, but they only handle bariactric, and since I only way 275 instead of 300, insurance won't pay...other distributor doesn't carry them any more.

I am a T10 para with Medicare and BC. My wife a post polio para with Medicare and BC. We were both eligible with a rather large out of pocket share but with Medicare cost sharing in form of monthly rental. Keep looking for a cooperative vendor. Transfermaster can tell you who their vendors are in your area.

I called TransferMaster back and I think we've worked it out with the local dealer. Turns out I may have confused the local rep. I asked for a "normal" 300 pound rated extra long queen. She said they only stock bariatic 600 pound.

After giving it a little further thought, that's probably what I need...me and the DW do sleep together occasionally...and together, weigh more than 300 pounds.

I think we're good to go. Between insurance and voc rehab, the cost should be pretty well covered.

I'm glad you could work this out and hope the new bed makes a big positive difference in your life!