Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Paraplegic move legs after stem cell procedure- Brazilian Center of Cell Theraphy

Grammy
    I can vouch for your comments, i had attended the stem cell inc screening process in Bulgrist university hospital Switzerland last August. All was free of charge, flights, meals, accommodation ect.., for me and a companion i had taken. A whole week morning to evening was dedicated to document tests about my health and SCI condition. It is paramount that my pre treatment status and after treatment status be clearly documented. The is the scope of the trial to prove without doubt that the it's anticipated outcomes have been met or not met, learn and move on.
    Alas a pressure sore and MRSA had excluded me. As for now trails are still in the very early stages to prove safety let alone efficacy that is why only 20 micro ltrs are being injected above, below and into the injury site, this will be changed to 50micro ltrs later on. i am optimistic about safety but efficacy for now is not the main focus. the first patient had under gone this procedure last Sebt but it is a four year study. Before a therapy is proven anyone in my opinion who at this stage sells any type of stem cell treatment for SCI is unprofessional.
    Last edited by peterf; 10-30-2011 at 02:22 PM.

@peterf

Thank you. I'm hoping that Jawaid understands the importance of this "clinical trial" proceeding forward, rather than hoping to find someone wanting to inject cells into him in a paid procedure without waiting for the results first. The data they collect will be very important. Hopefully we get the answers we are looking for. My heart goes out to the people that have made it into this Phase 1.

Thumbs up Here is another news report about the procedure

You can readt it at:

http://www.estadao.com.br/noticias/g...o,791684,0.htm

[]s
    Walid

----

A quick translation, without any spell checking. Sorry for some mistakes:

Nine years after suffer a violent fall during a family trip, which caused a spinal cord injury - that took the sensitivity and the movements of his two legs, the policeman Mauricio Borges Ribeiro is walking again. Ribeiro still needs to be supported by a walker and an ankle brace, since his legs muscles are pretty atrophied, after in nine years of immobility. But the future expectations are the best.

"We are doing a muscle-building, so the patient may in the future stand and walk without the aid of devices," says Claudia Bahia, physiotherapist and researcher at the Clinical Health Care, at Centro Universitário Estácio da Bahia (Estácio-FIB) - where the officer performs daily physical therapy. "Not long ago, nobody believed it would be possible that a paraplegic patient, with complete injury, could walk again. It is an achievement that cannot be measured."

Ribeiro was the first man to participate in an experimental treatment, developed by scientists at the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation in Bahia (FIOCRUZ-BA), with the support of Espanhol and São Rafael hospitals and universities in Bahia, to improve the quality of life of patients that, like him, due to a trauma, had complete rupture of the spinal cord - and due to it, completely lost their sensitivity, control and movement of hips and legs.

The treatment involves the application of mesenchymal stem cells, taken from bone marrow of patient's hip, directly in the region where the trauma occurred. The procedure began to be studied in 2005 and was first tested on pets, in 2007, with varying degrees of improvements in all cases.

After Ribeiro, five patients were treated - and 15 must go through the same procedures until the end of the first half of next year. "So far, all patients had some level of improvement and there was no medical complications", celebrates one of the coordinators of the research, the neurosurgeon Marcus Vin*cius Mendonça. "In some, for now, we only get improvements in sensitivity, in others there are advances in the motor functions. One of the research goals is to know why one patient answers better to treatment than another," he said.

Mendonça said that, after applying the procedure to the first 20 patients, the data will be collected and new studies about the treatment will be be carried out. "The estimated research time can vary from five to ten years" he said. For the policeman, however, the treatment can already be seen as successful. "After nine years, to realize that I can stand on my own feet is a great feeling," he says. "I'm very happy, even more because my progress brings hope to others who face similar problems," he added.

from five to ten years............ugh..................always the same

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    from five to ten years............ugh..................always the same
    yea, the part that i dont get is, they have a guy thats up and walking with assistance from this treatment. youd think that would slap someone in the face and get there attention to get things on the move.

I understand dear Grammy but bit touching is that clinical trials take several years to complete not just 2 to 3 years i guess.

It is nice that Brazil trial is getting lot of attention here from everyone even J Silver.

Do we still need more 5 to 10 years for treatment from this Brazil trial?

[QUOTE=peterf;1439840]Grammy I can vouch for your comments, i had attended the stem cell inc screening process in Bulgrist university hospital Switzerland last August. All was free of charge, flights, meals, accommodation ect.., for me and a companion i had taken. A whole week morning to evening was dedicated to document tests about my health and SCI condition. It is paramount that my pre treatment status and after treatment status be clearly documented. The is the scope of the trial to prove without doubt that the it's anticipated outcomes have been met or not met, learn and move on.QUOTE]

These trial phases won't be completed in just a few months. They are extremely costly, and financing is very tight. Peterf can attest to the costs that were paid out of the trial money to just get him and a companion to Switzerland with all expenses paid for screening for an entire week. It takes lots of money and lots of time to put it all together. I'm sure the trial team is working hard and doing all they can to do a great job and get this therapy to the clinic.

anyone got any information if there are any difference or improvents in the sexual function?
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    anyone got any information if there are any difference or improvents in the sexual function?
    Don't get me wrong i'm still in my prime but that is the last thing i would want back, Being able to get access without a chair is number one, bladder and bowel my number two. the 24hr pain number three. if i would get all these back you'd probable you know what i'd say next.