Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Paraplegic move legs after stem cell procedure- Brazilian Center of Cell Theraphy

Barrington wise might not be taking foreigners in trials i guess because lot of money is needed. Brazil can take patients from other countries but they have already huge patients in Brazil. Only Stemcell Inc taking patients from other countries but criteria is very very tight.

Marcus still no protocol of the treatment been told by these researchers. I mean how they are treating and which hormones and proteins they have added in trial? When they will give details of the therapy?

May be some other country or doctor can do this therapy elsewhere as we could get soon.

With this news you can say that a new chapter has started in SCI.
    Clinical trials and results.

KIM,

I would have to agree with your post #73.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    Marcus still no protocol of the treatment been told by these researchers. I mean how they are treating and which hormones and proteins they have added in trial? When they will give details of the therapy? May be some other country or doctor can do this therapy elsewhere as we could get soon.
    Jawaid, I believe only the cells themselves are being injected and safety being evaluated in this Phase 1. The aim of this study is to evaluate autologous bone marrow stem cells transplantation as a safe and potentially beneficial treatment for patients with spinal cord injury.

The surgery will remove the scar tissue in the damaged area. With the free area, the application of stem cells will be done in the exact location of the trauma. According to Santos, the procedure should encourage the growth of injured nerves. At surgery, the patient will receive blood plasma rich in platelets. "This causes a clot structure that keeps stem cells in the lesion site."

They are however working with other cells types and growth factors for future trials in stroke models at the same hospital for consideration. This isn't currently a "combination" type of trial at this phase 1 with hormones and proteins being added. They're just testing safety of the cell injections alone. (Autologous Bone Marrow Stem Cell Transplantation in Patients With Spinal Cord Injury)

Estimated Primary Completion Date:January 2012 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)

Estimated Study Completion Date:January 2013

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01325103?term=nct01325103&rank=1
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 10-29-2011 at 10:44 PM.

I asked to one member of the trial team what was the police man spinal cod injury status before the acident. The answer was not specific about the man (they did not tell me about his previous status). They only answered me that, "part of the criteria for patient inclusion was have complete injury, trauma closed, Frankel a". And nothing more.

1) complete injury
    2) trauma closed.
    3) Frankel a.

Grammy if only cells being injected then is it not great that they got such a good response?

Why this procedure not being done anywhere else dear Grammy or some one will be doing it soon.

Let us see how they go with phase2? Surely may add something with stem cells.

I guess phase2 will start in somewhere 2013 or may be in 2012?

Dr. Vaquero´s procedure is quite a like.Should start early next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    Grammy if only cells being injected then is it not great that they got such a good response?

Why this procedure not being done anywhere else dear Grammy or some one will be doing it soon.

Let us see how they go with phase2? Surely may add something with stem cells.

I guess phase2 will start in somewhere 2013 or may be in 2012?
    @Jawaid: I don't know if this same procedure is being done elsewhere or not. What is being discussed here is the actual (clinical trial) where they are trying to get scientific proof of safety and efficacy. A good clinical trial is what is needed in order to put procedures into the clinic with proof that it works and it is safe for the patients that undergo the cell transplants. Unless certain procedures are actually run through a clinical trial, we have no way of really knowing if it's a safe thing to do and if it works. It keeps people from paying for therapies that do not work or are unsafe. Does this make sense to you how I've explained it?

I don't know what is planned for the other Phases of the trial yet, or what their exact timing is. If they have the financing, and there is no problems in the Phase 1, they should be able to continue on and keep going with the other necessary Phases. By the other printed statements, I do conclude that they are ultimately looking at a goal of a "combination therapy".

14) He finalizes alerting people to be patience and not to undergo unproven treatments.

By documenting each response along the way, we will know exactly what to expect by the cell transplant alone...and then later, what to expect from the additional things that are added to the trial. It's a very methodical procedure to show "proof".
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 10-30-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KIM View Post
    Dr. Vaquero´s procedure is quite a like.Should start early next year.
    Yes, they do look similar.