Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Paraplegic move legs after stem cell procedure- Brazilian Center of Cell Theraphy

Ok dear Marcus we can wait 6 months and pray that results are very encouraging for us.

This video was broadcasted in 22/10/2011, or 3 days ago, by Globo News.

http://g1.globo.com/videos/jornal-na...gicos/1672021/
    Last edited by Marcus; 10-25-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Dear Marcus can u translate this video in English? I am unable to understand dear.

I hope trial going very well with some good results.

Is this first patient or not?

Hope u keep updated through ur good offices dear

Jawaid, here the link to the text in Portuguese:

http://g1.globo.com/jornal-nacional/...aplegicos.html

Bing Translator: http://www.microsofttranslator.com/

Stem cell research may return movements to paraplegics
    Technique pioneered in the country was developed by scientists at the laboratory in Osvaldo Cruz Foundation hospital San Rafael, in Salvador, where is one of the most advanced cell therapy centres of Latin America.
    -------------------------------

A year ago, the national newspaper showed initial testing with stem cells for return movements to paraplegics, in Salvador. A medical survey of Cellular Therapy Center Hospital San Rafael, in partnership with the Fiocruz. Now, you will see the first results.

Each step is a victory, a feat for those who couldn't stay upright. Mauritius, a major of the military police of 47 years, fell from a roof and has spent the last nine years without any movement from the waist down.

"I gave the step and felt weird because they were nine years without walking and realize that I was able to do this on my own legs. So, it was a very good feeling, "account.

According to doctors, which made possible all this advancement, this whole change in the life of Maurice, was a stem cell transplant performed in Salvador. The surgery was six months ago, the result of five years of research.

Doctors withdrew from hip bone patient's own mesenchymal stem cells, which have great ability to transform into various types of fabric, and pumped directly into the location where the column was reached.

The technique pioneered in the country was developed by scientists at the laboratory in Osvaldo Cruz Foundation hospital San Rafael, in Salvador, where is one of the most advanced cell therapy centres of Latin America.

Two months after surgery, MaurĂ*cio player already on the legs and pedaled up in sessions of physiotherapy. Doctors still don't know if he and the other 19 patients who will undergo the same treatment will come back to walk normally, but already celebrate the results.

"To know that we got an answer that with commands, is very rewarding, and not only that, know that this is only a tip of the iceberg, that, with positive results, we can extend this technique to a larger number of patients in the future, in addition to continue researching ways to improve it," says the neurosurgeon Marcus VinĂ*cius Mendonça.

After ask them if the patient steps is a volunteer moviment or some kind of inercial moviment, or impulse, one researcher of the clinical trial team told me by email that he has showing quadriceps contraction.

Is this not something trully massive???? This has never happened before - apparently this place is reputable.

Marcus work looks good but need to know from the researcher of the team whom u r in contact with email that how many patients they have treated till now and what about recovery in all those patients?

I m sure u will get answers and keep us updated.

If all 20 patients get some recovery in trial then this treatment will be big breakthrough very soon.

This is amazing news! Marcus, please continue to update us on this.

Dear Marcus plz check cbt-hsr.org to see any updates. They had conference some days ago i guess. Not updated on english site

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    I recently met with the Provost of the University of Sao Paulo. This is the biggest and most prestigious university in Brazil. He tells me that they are very serious of both stem cell research and spinal cord injury. We will be working with them in the coming months and years.

The Brazilians were amongst the first in the world to do autologous bone marrow cell transplants for spinal cord injury over ten years ago. They also have a huge number of spinal cord injuries in Brazil both from traffic accidents and gunshot wounds.

I believe that Brazil will be an important player in the regenerative medicine field in the coming years, particularly since its economy has now stabilized that the influx of oil revenues to allowing the country to invest in medicine and science as never before in its history.

Wise.
    Wise, are you able to evaluate what's going on there? Can you contact them and see if they're getting recovery in a number of patients? It could be really something or another big let down...........Thank you