Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 215

Thread: Paraplegic move legs after stem cell procedure- Brazilian Center of Cell Theraphy

  1. #21
    Article Translation for the one Arcy posted 6/5/2011:

    Transplantation of bone marrow stem cell held last April 14 in Salvador, brings results that motivate doctors. A military police officer of 47 years, who declined to be identified, a paraplegic after an accident and spent the last nine years in a wheelchair. After undergoing treatment, he returned to move the legs.
    The police made no movement from the waist down. He also had improvement in muscle that controls the flow of urine and feces and no longer needs diapers and other equipment. The hope of returning to a normal life has never been greater.
    "Before I had a trunk that was alive and legs that did not respond. Now I realize that they are alive, they belong to me and depends on me for what they agree, "he says.
    Now the police can already move your knees up, a feat for anyone who has the muscles atrophied from disuse. Another shows the impressive recovery of leg strength is an exercise, which still requires balance. For the physiotherapy team on the most amazing recovery of the patient is that he is pedaling.
    For a patient to undergo a stem cell transplant, a survey was conducted for five years before being used in humans, the technique has shown good results in animals.
    Cells used in treatment can
    turn into tissue (Photo: Play / TV Globo)
    In treatment, doctors use mesenchymal stem cells, which have greater capacity to develop into multiple tissue types. They are taken from the hip bone from the patient and injected directly into the place where the column was achieved. The pioneering technique was developed by scientists at the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation and the St. Raphael Hospital, where one of the most modern cell therapy centers in the country. Researchers are amazed by the rapid evolution of the patient.
    "Basically in a week he began to have clinical outcomes, an improvement in sensitivity, an improvement in sitting posture and this patient has been evolving," says Marcus Vinicius Mendonca, neurosurgeon.
    But doctors believe early to say whether he and 19 other people with the same problem will also receive stem cells will again walk normally Ricardo Ribeiro, coordinator of the program.
    "This patient may have still other improvements and other improvements may be larger or the same or worse. So we have to wait."
    For now the police are excited by early results and make plans. "I always liked the beach, go to the beach, be able to take a swim in the sea without anyone hold you, right? Could go to a stadium, I always liked football, to play a football, go shopping, do what I always did, "wait.

    November 2010

    The Center of Biotechnology and Cell Therapy, Hospital São Rafael, Salvador, opened last week in a pioneering study to test the efficacy of adult stem cells in people with paraplegy.

    The cells will be applied in the injured spinal cord - in previous studies, were inserted into an artery to the spinal cord.
    The purpose of the initial stage, which involves 20 volunteers, is to test the safety of the procedure. Researchers, however, expect that it is already possible to notice an improvement in sensitivity, reflexes and sphincter control.
    "The problem of the paraplegic is so serious that if we get an improvement in quality of life, with control of the anal and urethral sphincters, it will be fantastic," said research coordinator, Ricardo Ribeiro dos Santos, Fiocruz.
    In tests on dogs and cats it was noticeable improvement in these items in less than a month. In almost half the cases, the animals partially recovered movement, according to Santos.
    The doctor is cautious in predicting outcomes in humans. "The expectation is not a miracle," he says. "Nobody wants to turn anybody into one marathon runner."
    In the initial phase, tests will be restricted to people who became paraplegic at least six months ago - mostly from traffic accidents.
    The selection of volunteers is ongoing. Interested applicants can send an email to the researchers (ticiana@cbtc-hsr.org).
    Last week, the first four volunteers were subjected to a collect of bone marrow cells.
    The material went to a laboratory where the concentration of stem cells will go from 1% to 99%.
    Then a surgery will remove the scar tissue in the damaged area. With the free area, the application of stem cells will be done in the exact location of the trauma.
    According to Santos, the procedure should encourage the growth of injured nerves. At surgery, the patient will receive blood plasma rich in platelets. "This causes a clot structure that keeps stem cells in the lesion site."
    The survey is conducted in partnership with the Hospital Espanhol, Fiocruz and University Center of Bahia, with funding from the Ministry of Health. In the next phase, patients will be divided into two groups for comparison of results.
    SAFETY
    For experts, this research procedure is safer than those made with embryonic cells, as the one authorized by the U.S. government in July.
    "The embryonic cells are more efficient, but offer higher risk of tumors," says the head of the National Laboratory of Embryonic Stem Cells, USP, Lygia da Veiga Pereira.
    Santos notes that sometimes the process of cultivation in the laboratory also gives rise to tumor cells.
    He says the team is aware of this. "Our monitoring work is very careful not to inject in the patient anything that can harm him."
    Success with animals does not guarantee good results in humans, says Tarcisio Eloy Pessoa de Barros Filho.

    Researchers at the Center of Cell Therapy, Hospital São Rafael, Bahia, partnership with Fiocruz, will start this month, the initial trials of stem cells in paraplegic patients.
    The research is carried out at a hospital in Salvador, where is one of the most modern cell therapy centers in Latin America.

    Dogs and cats with paralysis in the hind legs were injected with mesenchymal stem cells, which have great capacity to develop into various tissue types. All had improvement in muscle that controls the flow of feces and urine and recovered more than half the sensitivity and strength in the affected paws.

    Now, scientists at the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation begin to realize the same treatment in 20 patients with paralysis. The mesenchymal stem cells are removed from the hip bone from the patient, separated and enriched in a solution of hormones and vitamins.

    In the incubator, under special conditions of temperature and humidity, the mesenchymal stem cells multiply. They are kept for up to a month. It is this process that gives scientists the amount of stem cells they need for research.

    For this first study, researchers selected only those who had broken the spinal cord in the chest region. They will undergo a surgery similar to those performed in animals.

    "By injecting directly into the spinal cord at the point where you want, on your target, you have a higher concentration of cells, that is our differentiator over other studies," said the neurosurgeon Marcus Vin*cius Mendonça.

    The first surgery should be performed later this month. After surgery, patients will have physiotherapy for six months and shall be accompanied by the team over the next two years.

    Scientists are excited but cautious: "There's no expectation that a patient will be treated with stem cells and will leave here running. If they have improvement in some movements, that will bring already a great improvement in quality of life", said the Fiocruz researcher Ricardo Ribeiro.

    December 2010


    Rio - Twenty brazilian paraplegic will be the first ones to test a treatment with stem cells that promises to recover part of the sensitivity and reflexes of the patients. The pioneering study began last week and is being developed by the Center of Biotechnology and Cell Therapy, Hospital São Rafael, Salvador, in partnership with Fiocruz and Hospital Espanhol.
    According to the study coordinator, Ricardo Ribeiro, the first phase will test the safety of the procedure, risks and side effects. In the second phase - which has no start date - the number of volunteers should increase to about 60 patients.
    "In the first phase, we already expect that the quality of life of these patients improves, especially regarding the control of anal and urethral sphincters. If we get they have this improvement, it will already be a gain,” said Ribeiro. "We're not preparing anybody to run a marathon", mused the specialist.
    According to Ribeiro, in tests with paraplegic dogs and cats, it was noticeable improvement in less than a month. In almost half the cases, the animals partially recovered movement.
    At principle, the tests will be restricted to people who became paraplegic at least six months ago due to traffic accidents. However, the selection of patients for the second phase is still ongoing. Interested parties should send an email to ticiana@cbtc-hsr.org.

    http://www.cbtc-hsr.org/en/index.php

  2. #22
    So what is the status now ?

  3. #23
    Why does "noone want to turn anyone into a marathon runner"?

    Just control of bladder and bowels is no cure at all

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Digital refugee
    Posts
    1,741
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    Just control of bladder and bowels is no cure at all
    I'll take it in a flash.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    537
    This is the most impressive report I have seen.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

  6. #26
    Northern Brazil, Salvador is a special place. I played a few concerts there some years before my accident. It was a warm and special time I'll never forget.
    - I'd love to go there again, if I got the chance.
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    Why does "noone want to turn anyone into a marathon runner"? Just control of bladder and bowels is no cure at all
    ???? Perhaps reading the article again more slowly...They are discussing the improvements of one patient out of the 20 they expect to recruit for Phase 1. Their stated observations went beyond bowel and bladder.


    Researcher: Ricardo Ribeiro dos Santos/Institute: FIOCRUZ-RJ

    Cellular therapy by autologous transplantation of stem cells from bone marrow in patients with spinal injury trauma

    There are currently No effective treatment for recovery from a bruised spinal cord. Based on experimental data of our group in dogs and cats with complete spinal cord lesions, which indicated the safety and efficacy of transplantation of mesenchymal stem cells autologous bone marrow in this type of injury, this project proposes to research this therapy in patients with raquimedulares lesions with more than 6 months of development, for which we cannot currently offer no therapy able to revert this frame.

    Based on experimental data of our group in dogs and cats with complete spinal cord lesions, which indicated the safety and efficacy of transplantation of mesenchymal stem cells autologous bone marrow in this type of injury, this project proposes to research this therapy in patients with raquimedulares lesions with more than 6 months of development, for which we cannot currently offer no therapy able to revert this frame.

    Performing a phase I clinical study aimed to investigate if the administration of stem cells autologous bone marrow mesenchymal is safe and causes the repair of spinal cord when injected in the area of lesion in 20 patients with complete spinal injury trauma, injuries (Frankel) chronicles. The potential effectiveness of the method is evaluated by evaluating the functional improvement (clinic, by MRI and evoked potential assessment).

    Patients will be submitted to the technical assessment of all articular muscle structure, presence of contractures and hyperreflexia, bladder and sphincter control before the procedure. After the surgical procedure, the patient will be subjected to a daily Protocol of physiotherapy. We hope, with the completion of this study, contribute to the development of new therapies based on cell transplantation for the treatment of chronic raquimedulares lesions.

    Researcher: Ricardo Ribeiro dos Santos/Institute: FIOCRUZ-RJ Cellular therapy by autologous
    http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...-pesquisa.html
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 07-06-2011 at 11:14 AM.

  8. #28
    FIOCRUZ is an old and respected public medical research institution in Brazil. And like already was said here, the Hospital Sao Rafael, in Salvador, is associated with Hospital Sao Rafael in Milan, Italy.

  9. #29
    kickingber
    Guest
    Gammy, Thank you so very much, this was a very good read.


    G
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    Article Translation for the one Arcy posted 6/5/2011:

    Transplantation of bone marrow stem cell held last April 14 in Salvador, brings results that motivate doctors. A military police officer of 47 years, who declined to be identified, a paraplegic after an accident and spent the last nine years in a wheelchair. After undergoing treatment, he returned to move the legs.
    The police made no movement from the waist down. He also had improvement in muscle that controls the flow of urine and feces and no longer needs diapers and other equipment. The hope of returning to a normal life has never been greater.
    "Before I had a trunk that was alive and legs that did not respond. Now I realize that they are alive, they belong to me and depends on me for what they agree, "he says.
    Now the police can already move your knees up, a feat for anyone who has the muscles atrophied from disuse. Another shows the impressive recovery of leg strength is an exercise, which still requires balance. For the physiotherapy team on the most amazing recovery of the patient is that he is pedaling.
    For a patient to undergo a stem cell transplant, a survey was conducted for five years before being used in humans, the technique has shown good results in animals.
    Cells used in treatment can
    turn into tissue (Photo: Play / TV Globo)
    In treatment, doctors use mesenchymal stem cells, which have greater capacity to develop into multiple tissue types. They are taken from the hip bone from the patient and injected directly into the place where the column was achieved. The pioneering technique was developed by scientists at the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation and the St. Raphael Hospital, where one of the most modern cell therapy centers in the country. Researchers are amazed by the rapid evolution of the patient.
    "Basically in a week he began to have clinical outcomes, an improvement in sensitivity, an improvement in sitting posture and this patient has been evolving," says Marcus Vinicius Mendonca, neurosurgeon.
    But doctors believe early to say whether he and 19 other people with the same problem will also receive stem cells will again walk normally Ricardo Ribeiro, coordinator of the program.
    "This patient may have still other improvements and other improvements may be larger or the same or worse. So we have to wait."
    For now the police are excited by early results and make plans. "I always liked the beach, go to the beach, be able to take a swim in the sea without anyone hold you, right? Could go to a stadium, I always liked football, to play a football, go shopping, do what I always did, "wait.

    November 2010

    The Center of Biotechnology and Cell Therapy, Hospital São Rafael, Salvador, opened last week in a pioneering study to test the efficacy of adult stem cells in people with paraplegy.

    The cells will be applied in the injured spinal cord - in previous studies, were inserted into an artery to the spinal cord.
    The purpose of the initial stage, which involves 20 volunteers, is to test the safety of the procedure. Researchers, however, expect that it is already possible to notice an improvement in sensitivity, reflexes and sphincter control.
    "The problem of the paraplegic is so serious that if we get an improvement in quality of life, with control of the anal and urethral sphincters, it will be fantastic," said research coordinator, Ricardo Ribeiro dos Santos, Fiocruz.
    In tests on dogs and cats it was noticeable improvement in these items in less than a month. In almost half the cases, the animals partially recovered movement, according to Santos.
    The doctor is cautious in predicting outcomes in humans. "The expectation is not a miracle," he says. "Nobody wants to turn anybody into one marathon runner."
    In the initial phase, tests will be restricted to people who became paraplegic at least six months ago - mostly from traffic accidents.
    The selection of volunteers is ongoing. Interested applicants can send an email to the researchers (ticiana@cbtc-hsr.org).
    Last week, the first four volunteers were subjected to a collect of bone marrow cells.
    The material went to a laboratory where the concentration of stem cells will go from 1% to 99%.
    Then a surgery will remove the scar tissue in the damaged area. With the free area, the application of stem cells will be done in the exact location of the trauma.
    According to Santos, the procedure should encourage the growth of injured nerves. At surgery, the patient will receive blood plasma rich in platelets. "This causes a clot structure that keeps stem cells in the lesion site."
    The survey is conducted in partnership with the Hospital Espanhol, Fiocruz and University Center of Bahia, with funding from the Ministry of Health. In the next phase, patients will be divided into two groups for comparison of results.
    SAFETY
    For experts, this research procedure is safer than those made with embryonic cells, as the one authorized by the U.S. government in July.
    "The embryonic cells are more efficient, but offer higher risk of tumors," says the head of the National Laboratory of Embryonic Stem Cells, USP, Lygia da Veiga Pereira.
    Santos notes that sometimes the process of cultivation in the laboratory also gives rise to tumor cells.
    He says the team is aware of this. "Our monitoring work is very careful not to inject in the patient anything that can harm him."
    Success with animals does not guarantee good results in humans, says Tarcisio Eloy Pessoa de Barros Filho.

    Researchers at the Center of Cell Therapy, Hospital São Rafael, Bahia, partnership with Fiocruz, will start this month, the initial trials of stem cells in paraplegic patients.
    The research is carried out at a hospital in Salvador, where is one of the most modern cell therapy centers in Latin America.

    Dogs and cats with paralysis in the hind legs were injected with mesenchymal stem cells, which have great capacity to develop into various tissue types. All had improvement in muscle that controls the flow of feces and urine and recovered more than half the sensitivity and strength in the affected paws.

    Now, scientists at the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation begin to realize the same treatment in 20 patients with paralysis. The mesenchymal stem cells are removed from the hip bone from the patient, separated and enriched in a solution of hormones and vitamins.

    In the incubator, under special conditions of temperature and humidity, the mesenchymal stem cells multiply. They are kept for up to a month. It is this process that gives scientists the amount of stem cells they need for research.

    For this first study, researchers selected only those who had broken the spinal cord in the chest region. They will undergo a surgery similar to those performed in animals.

    "By injecting directly into the spinal cord at the point where you want, on your target, you have a higher concentration of cells, that is our differentiator over other studies," said the neurosurgeon Marcus Vin*cius Mendonça.

    The first surgery should be performed later this month. After surgery, patients will have physiotherapy for six months and shall be accompanied by the team over the next two years.

    Scientists are excited but cautious: "There's no expectation that a patient will be treated with stem cells and will leave here running. If they have improvement in some movements, that will bring already a great improvement in quality of life", said the Fiocruz researcher Ricardo Ribeiro.

    December 2010


    Rio - Twenty brazilian paraplegic will be the first ones to test a treatment with stem cells that promises to recover part of the sensitivity and reflexes of the patients. The pioneering study began last week and is being developed by the Center of Biotechnology and Cell Therapy, Hospital São Rafael, Salvador, in partnership with Fiocruz and Hospital Espanhol.
    According to the study coordinator, Ricardo Ribeiro, the first phase will test the safety of the procedure, risks and side effects. In the second phase - which has no start date - the number of volunteers should increase to about 60 patients.
    "In the first phase, we already expect that the quality of life of these patients improves, especially regarding the control of anal and urethral sphincters. If we get they have this improvement, it will already be a gain,” said Ribeiro. "We're not preparing anybody to run a marathon", mused the specialist.
    According to Ribeiro, in tests with paraplegic dogs and cats, it was noticeable improvement in less than a month. In almost half the cases, the animals partially recovered movement.
    At principle, the tests will be restricted to people who became paraplegic at least six months ago due to traffic accidents. However, the selection of patients for the second phase is still ongoing. Interested parties should send an email to ticiana@cbtc-hsr.org.

    http://www.cbtc-hsr.org/en/index.php

  10. #30
    You are welcomed Kickingber! This is one of the trials listed and we are watching at unite2fightparalysis.org/clinicaltrials

    We hope they have the very best luck with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 01:22 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-29-2007, 05:58 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2006, 04:19 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2005, 09:18 AM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 02:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •