Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Paraplegic move legs after stem cell procedure- Brazilian Center of Cell Theraphy

Parties involved in this research are: the San Rafael Hospital (attached to a Italian foundation) and Fiocruz. Fiocruz is a government institution where vaccines and medicines are produced, and where tropical diseases are studied. In contrary what was said here and where I know, the USP (Universidade de São Paulo) is not envolved in this research.

Curiously, yesterday the TV said that researchers from Fiocruz, while they were researching the protozoan (Trypanosoma cruzi) that causes Chagas disease, a very serious chronic illness, they observed an interesting "side effect" in the rats used in research, ie, 100% of these mice did not develop diabetes type 1, even those genetically programmed to show the disease, or after receive drugs that usually triggers diabetes in rats.

English
    http://www.actualidaddiabetes.com/en...enir-diabetes/
    Last edited by Marcus; 05-08-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    The doctor of this research group with whom I made contact in October, 2011, had told me to wait six months for more information. The six months period ends on the April 29th, when I will send an email to the doctor asking for more information.
    so it has been 1 year now Marcus. Have you heard anything more? Try and push for some answers for us. thank you

In my last contact they told me to wait until the end of 2012 when they will delivery another report.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    In my last contact they told me to wait until the end of 2012 when they will delivery another report.
    I'm assuming no news from them as of yet?

Marcus what happened? No news given by you and end of december is there. Have they not much convincing data to give? Why so much delay when they have used adult cells not the neural or embryonic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    Marcus what happened? No news given by you and end of december is there. Have they not much convincing data to give? Why so much delay when they have used adult cells not the neural or embryonic.
    bumping

Source: http://g1.globo.com/jornal-nacional/...na-coluna.html

Date: 01/22/2013

Google Translator

Note: the first part of the text (not translated) talk about cell therapy to be applied in bones,

"Studies to return the body movements advance in other parts of the country. A center conducts research in Salvador that do not promise a cure, but the results of a first test already showed that it is possible to improve the condition of life of patients without mobility.

"I was not born in the wheelchair. I had an accident and I'm in a wheelchair, and seek an improvement, "said Mauricio.

In 2011, Mauricio went through a stem cell transplant as a volunteer. When there is a severe trauma in the column, the impulses sent by the brain can not get to the muscles, and body movement is compromised. The injection of stem cells taken from the patient's bone marrow, want to return movements.

"Nothing from the waist down. Nothing. Today I feel everything, even the feet. Identify heat, cold identify. It won "celebrates Mauricio.

Other patients also had gains with the test. Rejane has regained feeling in his back before being discharged. That is progress every day.

"Stem cell therapy is one that is beginning, but we're still looking for the best cell, how many times this cell must be injected into the patient, and how long it will take effect," says Ricardo Ribeiro dos Santos, research coordinator.

The beginning of a long journey that has already shown results. Mauricio can walk with the aid of a walker, but only during physical therapy."

Thanks Marcus for digging up some more information.
    It would be nice to hear how the first patient is doing now. If he has had more gains since the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    Thanks Marcus for digging up some more information.
    It would be nice to hear how the first patient is doing now. If he has had more gains since the original post.
    yes, thanks Marcus.
    T5/6, ASIA A, injured 30 Nov 08
    Future SCI Alumnus.
    I don't want to dance in the rain, I want to soar above the storm.

thanks marcus..
    did they start phase 2 yet?
    how serious are they?