Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Boyfriend new C3 injury from Tornado

So many emotions swirl while trying to make sense of a traumatic injury. It'll be a rough ride for you both but we all cope differently. I remember many phone calls to my hubby while in rehab, crying & saying the same thing. It's so tough when you realize, too, the care that's needed like doing bowel & bladder care & wondering about sexual function alone from just the paralyzed limbs. I wish you both so much luck. Try getting him into counseling, then with you both.

Quote Originally Posted by BillMiller823 View Post
    Max6318,

I read lots of good advice above. I want to offer my encouragement and prayers too. Hopefully your BF will continue to recover, and it sounds like he should definitely get off the vent, which would be a huge blessing.

That said, life isn't necessarily bad, even with high-level quadriplegia and a vent. I'm a C1-2 and have used a vent for the last 13.5+ years.

I too was highly independent before being injured and was highly depressed when I initially discovered my new condition. But life will get significantly BETTER when he figures out what he can still do, and what he can recover. That's what rehab is for -- maximize the opportunity!

That said, he'll still be figuring out additional things he can do even after rehab.

If interested, here's a link about my story and my approach to post-SCI life:

http://www.lookmomnohands.net/My_Ful...ort_Groups.htm

I need to update the above, but I think it shows life can still be good and much can still be accomplished. Fun can still be had too -- I bowled a legit 223 recently. For details, visit:

http://www.wheelchairbowlingrecords....Scoresheet.htm

God bless!

Bill Miller
    Max sorry about your situation, trust in God, Bill you are a hero, God bless you guys
    Every rose has its thorn
    Just like every night has its dawn