Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boyfriend new C3 injury from Tornado

The Special Hospital of Washington is an LTAC (long term acute hospital) which is just a slight step up from a nursing home. It is not a SCI specialty center nor an acute rehabilitation program. He needs to get moved ASAP to a specialty SCI Center with an aggressive acute SCI-specific rehabilitation program. Who decided to send him to an LTAC?

I would recommend if at all possible getting him moved to someplace like the Shephard Center in Atlanta, Kessler in New Jersey, Craig in Colorado, or even to Magee in Philadelphia vs. staying in an LTAC. Lack of SCI specialty experience in the staff, lack of an accredited SCI rehabilitation program, and most of all, lack of peer contact will not provide him with either the physical or emotional rehabilitation he so sorely needs right now.

(KLD)

The hospital he was originally in wanted to send him to Woodrow Wilson in Roanoke,Va but they didn't take patients on a ventilator. The case manager told us that The Specialty Hospital of Washington specialized on weaning people off the vent. They said that was the closest facility they could find to send him. I will talk to his sister because we are totally dependent on what the doctors and case managers have suggested. My understanding is that once he is off the vent they will have to find a rehab location for him. I will set up a meeting with his case manager next week to discuss this. Thank you for the guidence as we are learning each day.

So sorry to hear of this horrible accident. Stay strong and listen to everything KLD says. She is very knowledgable. You both have a very long and bumpy ride ahead of you but everything will be ok.

Wow, I'm so sorry this happened. It is wonderful that you saved your children. You did the right thing. Now you have had advice from the best in the world. Really.

It is important to keep pushing on the doctors and staff in order to get the best care available, which is at a place specializing in SCIs. Follow KLD's advice - don't let less informed people such as the ones you will be talking to decide things for you. Particularly as you yourself are in a rough state now, it's easy to be overwhelmed. Be firm - start with "We want him to go to Shephard Center in Atlanta" or something like that; don't wait for them to decide for you.

The case manager is there to assist you, and we have had excellent results from ours, but never forget that it's the insurance company that's paying them, so they have pressure from their bosses to maximize profits.

Best of luck to you both. I hope you have good help with your children; this is a scary and confusing time for them, too.
    - Richard

Max:
    I sent you a private message. Please get back to me.
    Wishing you all the best.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by Max6318 View Post
    The hospital he was originally in wanted to send him to Woodrow Wilson in Roanoke,Va but they didn't take patients on a ventilator. The case manager told us that The Specialty Hospital of Washington specialized on weaning people off the vent. They said that was the closest facility they could find to send him. I will talk to his sister because we are totally dependent on what the doctors and case managers have suggested. My understanding is that once he is off the vent they will have to find a rehab location for him. I will set up a meeting with his case manager next week to discuss this. Thank you for the guidence as we are learning each day.
    Craig hospital in Colorado takes vent SCI patients and is renown for rehab and treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The Special Hospital of Washington is an LTAC (long term acute hospital) which is just a slight step up from a nursing home. It is not a SCI specialty center nor an acute rehabilitation program. He needs to get moved ASAP to a specialty SCI Center with an aggressive acute SCI-specific rehabilitation program. Who decided to send him to an LTAC?

I would recommend if at all possible getting him moved to someplace like the Shephard Center in Atlanta, Kessler in New Jersey, Craig in Colorado, or even to Magee in Philadelphia vs. staying in an LTAC. Lack of SCI specialty experience in the staff, lack of an accredited SCI rehabilitation program, and most of all, lack of peer contact will not provide him with either the physical or emotional rehabilitation he so sorely needs right now.

(KLD)
    Insurance will play a big role in where he is able to go for rehabilitation. AVOID the LTAC at all costs. I have seen all too often that once you go to an LTAC, you can not return to an ICU level facility such as Shepherd nor do insurance compannies want to pay for rehab after a LTAC. They will step you down to a SNF (Skilled nursing facility/ nursing home).
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Today was a good day. I went to D.C. This morning and my boyfriend was in such a good mood. He was laughing and talking and even picking with the staff. He seemed like himself and that really made me feel good. He talked about some of his feelings and trying to come to terms with everything. It helped that his sister and son came to visit as well as some friends. There was a total of 10 people visiting him today.

Quote Originally Posted by Max6318 View Post
    Today was a good day. I went to D.C. This morning and my boyfriend was in such a good mood. He was laughing and talking and even picking with the staff. He seemed like himself and that really made me feel good. He talked about some of his feelings and trying to come to terms with everything. It helped that his sister and son came to visit as well as some friends. There was a total of 10 people visiting him today.
    I'm glad to read that your boyfriend seems like his old self. Support from family and friends is very important. From my experience, I recall my primary Dr. predicting a very bleak outlook/future for my recovery. His medical opinion did not come to fruition. It took me four months to come off the ventilator. Don't let the bastards get you down.

Good luck.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I have a friend who was injuried in California & spent a number of weeks at a hospital that knew nothing about sci. It was horrible for her. She ended up transferring to Craig in Colorado. Best thing she ever did. Excellent facility. She even still has connections there even tho she's back here in Wisconsin, so they do great job with follow through after you're discharged.