Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Taipei hospital reveals breakthrough paralysis therapy

Taipei hospital reveals breakthrough paralysis therapy

guys and girls, what do you think about this article?

Taipei hospital reveals breakthrough paralysis therapy

Chang Tsui-fen and Staff Reporter
    2011-04-08
    12:35 (GMT+8)

After 12 years of research on human subjects, Taipei Veterans General Hospital has successfully demonstrated a self-developed nerve regeneration technology that can treat chronic paralytic patients and restore their nerve functions, making it possible for them to move and walk again.

The hospital announced its discovery on Monday (Apr. 4). The new therapeutic method consists of three major processes: nerve repair surgery, a compound cocktail of drugs and intensive post-surgery rehabilitation.

Dr Cheng Hung-chih, director of the nerve-repair department at the hospital, said their new medical technology of treating patients with chronic spiral cord injuries is the first of its kind, having completed first and second phases of clinic experiments on human patients.

Cheng said the nerve regeneration research project has gone through 12 years of experiments on human subjects with the participation of 133 patients or volunteers. A total of 39 papers written by project researchers to report findings and progresses have been published in credible international medical journals.

continue...

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-s...20110408000060
    Last edited by manouli; 06-01-2011 at 11:41 AM.

No reliable news about this treatment from anyone here.

"The hospital announced its discovery on Monday (Apr. 4). The new therapeutic method consists of three major processes: nerve repair surgery, a compound cocktail of drugs and intensive post-surgery rehabilitation."

What exactly are they doing?
    Daniel

chronic is two months? I think at 29 years post injury I might miss out on this treatment

you would think it's just nerves no matter how many years or months have passed. Everything should be just like a computer plug-and-play. They just need to figure out which one does what.

this is the first ive heard of this TAIPEI treatment. claim 12 years treatment on human subjects and completed 1st & 2nd phases of study. Wise, nurses, and ANY other person out there do you have any input on this?? it seems that what they claim to have acomplished would have come to the attention of leading researches in the SCI field. please advise poobear

Any comment Dr. Wise Young?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    chronic is two months? I think at 29 years post injury I might miss out on this treatment
    In the article:

One of the patients had been paraplegic for as long as 23 years. After being given the nerve regeneration treatment, the patient experienced the recovery of sense function in the anus for the first time.

As always, let the surfer beware! More information is needed, and the word surgery, juxtaposed with spinal cord, sounds alarm bells, though in the end this may be unavoidable.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

still no official info on this story? the international medical journals its published in should be obtainable.... Imma look into it myself...

found this powerpoint with some info. Ancedotal ofcourse

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7...ter-200504.ppt
    Last edited by Eric.S; 06-18-2011 at 09:13 PM.