Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: USAir trashed my chair

At <22 months post-SCI I haven't really given much thought about airline travel. The idea of being lugged on and off an aircraft like a piece of luggage is very disheartening to me personally. I haven't dealt with my injury very well and still have a difficult time with peoples stares and my poor attitude of needing/accepting help from strangers. With that being said I have the opportunity to travel with my wheelchair rugby team next season. The promise of doing something I love in a faraway place will be the only thing that gets me in a plane.

Once aboard and my fears are conquered I will have to trust my most-cherished posessions to some baggage handler who couldn't give a shit about it. I speak of course about my wheelchairs. I've heard so many nightmares about people having their mobility device fucked-up by some idiot on the tarmac. At this point I'm honestly contemplating having a cheap carbon-copy of my daychair (a $7400 magnesium-alloy cantilever-framed manual) made specifically for travelling. If it gets lost or squished I could always go home to my Lasher. Another thought I had is to get a Marvel or Icon - something that breaks down and can be stowed in the cabin as carry-on. Is this conceivable?

As far as my rugby chair, I think boxing it up and paying $x to have it shipped properly would the way to go. I cannot fathom how on earth a rugby chair could be bent/damaged but it has happened to no less than 3 people on my team. They get a new one, happy day, but meanwhile I'd be royally pissed and have a hard time not wheeling into the terminal with an assault rifle with a few banana clips.

I realize how anal I am, I just want to minimize my chance of having a bad experience. I'm not one of those gimps who accepts whatever happens to them as "life". I am not a happy-go-lucky person. I hope for the best but plan for the worst. Are my fears unfounded? I don't think so. Travellers, please, help me. My psychologist always told me "control the variables" and let the rest go.

Mind if I ask the OP what kind of chair this was?

send a e mail to the ceo. douglas.parker@usair.com and make him aware of what you afe going through. let him know this is being discussed in a form on this site and that you will continue to make people aware of the issue

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    I realize how anal I am, I just want to minimize my chance of having a bad experience.
    You're not alone. I'll only fly if it's not practical to drive.

Jep-I had problems with an insurance company renewing my house insurance and my Broker or anyone from the company would even talk to me. I went straight to the website and wrote the email to the CEO of the company of this large insurance company and the next morning he apologized and I got this resolved. Sometimes you need to go to the top. Best wishes and hope you get your new chair. Chery

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    At <22 months post-SCI I haven't really given much thought about airline travel. The idea of being lugged on and off an aircraft like a piece of luggage is very disheartening to me personally. I haven't dealt with my injury very well and still have a difficult time with peoples stares and my poor attitude of needing/accepting help from strangers. With that being said I have the opportunity to travel with my wheelchair rugby team next season. The promise of doing something I love in a faraway place will be the only thing that gets me in a plane.
    when you hit 22 years none of it phases you.

They're there to facilitate YOU, so make them work..I can transfer to the washington chair, but I don't, I can transfer from the washington to the seat, but I don't. Why? Well because I'm on vacation! I'm there to relax, and the last thing I want is a buggered shoulder from a transfer to happen before I've even gone anywhere.

I've flown with: Air Canada, WestJet, Alaskan, American Airlines, and Southwestern. What I do everytime is talk to the baggage handlers telling them how to fold the seat down, what to do if they need to remove the wheels..That sorta thing, so they know it is a big deal for you leaving it..

Side note, the rugby guys are pretty cool. They were bugging me to join a couple years back, but having a F/T job and being old made me lean towards declining the invite. cool to see them hitting events outside the province..
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

thanks for the email address!

and I have a Quickie 2 Lite which I use when I have to walk further than rather short distances (otherwise I use crutches with bilateral AFOs due to MS)