Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USAir trashed my chair

USAir trashed my chair

USAir trashed my chair, which they admit is their fault. Bent and twisted frame, brakes, both push rims, handle, etc. My chair is fairly new and they eventually assigned a woman from Corp HQ to my claim. USAir first promised they would replace my chair and provide a rental until new chair arrives. This HQ agent now says she is no longer authorizing this and that USAIR will only pay for a rental and the repair of my chair. My DME even said the chair won't really be right even after the frame gets done and recommends replacement (of course)

Needless to say I am not happy but can't seem to get this corporate woman. If she told me she "understands" once she told me a hundred times- I finally told her she did not understand as she could get up to go pee!

Any advice on how to get my chair replaced? We are talking about a quote for a new chair of only $3,500. Thanks

in this order:

get everything in writing... including the "it can't be repaired" from the DME supplier and/or the chair manufacturer.

fight until you get a check for replacement cost from airline.

order new from www.sportaid.com if you want a little extra cash in your pocket.

Scott is dead on about this. Do not accept repair of your chair. You need a new one. Period.

Ask for her supervisor if she continues to repeat, "We are no longer offering replacement ..." The woman who said USAir would replace your chair made a verbal contract with you when she said this. It is binding, although could be difficult to prove as it was verbal.

Note dates, times, the person(s) to whom you speak and what each person says with each conversation. Keep a log of this and use it if you need in dealing with the airline.

Sorry you had this experience. I have had zilch problems (Am I cursing myself?) with USAir when I've flown them in the last couple of years.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for the tips. I have notes of who I spoke to, phoen numbers, dates/times etc. I just can't seem to figure out who in charge can make the decision. I searched corporate officers but cant seem to locate any phone or email info for these indivduals.

To help educae me: other than my gut telling me my chair will never be right after this, much alike a ca that has wrecked bad enough to screw up the frame, is there a reason? I need more than my gut to help back up my claim.

Quote Originally Posted by jep View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I have notes of who I spoke to, phoen numbers, dates/times etc. I just can't seem to figure out who in charge can make the decision. I searched corporate officers but cant seem to locate any phone or email info for these indivduals.

To help educae me: other than my gut telling me my chair will never be right after this, much alike a ca that has wrecked bad enough to screw up the frame, is there a reason? I need more than my gut to help back up my claim.
    Get a medical note stating w/o your proper fitting chair you'll deveolp pressure sores etc. then tell USAirs if anything happens to your ass they'll be financially responsible.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Get your lawyer to write a letter. That usually gets their attention.

X2 on the lawyer and the local news: investigative reporter.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    what kind/brand of chair? most manufacturers will not "straighten" a bent frame, this will most likely cause many other problems, like broken welds, weakend joints, ect. about the only frames that get straightened are sports chairs that take a lot of abuse, not primary chairs. be firm and stand your ground, only replacement of the chair is acceptable.
    As Scott said, get a quote from a local DME vendor, then buy online and submit higher priced quote for reimbursement from airline. Unfortunately, the best you can do for now is pay for the chair out of pocket to get the build started and then ask airline for reimbursement, otherwise you'll probably be waiting a while.
    Last edited by jschism; 06-01-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: add

no, you totally need a new chair. how could it have gotten so banged and bent being properly handled?

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    how could it have gotten so banged and bent being properly handled?
    it wasn't properly handled.