Thread: Kids with type 1 diabetes

Kids with type 1 diabetes

My 2 year old was admitted to the ER on Saturday where we learned he has type 1 diabetes. Administering injections and finger pricks to a young-in is rough (mainly for the parents) but my family is resilient and we will get through this. Anyway, the reason for my my posting is to network with other parents who have been through this with young kids. I have web links and literature on the subject so I'm asking for real-world-advice, suggestions and any tip-n-tricks on making the experience the best that I can for my little buddy.

Thx,
    signed one tire dad.

there are folks here who have juvenile diabetes.
    my little neighbor was diagnosed after easter dinner. it doesnt take long for the blood checks and insulin to be part of ones day.

my son had other medical issues that required needles, and such at a very young age. he didnt get used to it, but treatment made him feel better, and not getting treatment made him feel very sick, so he began to manage his own care fairly young as was his pediatritions request.
    I was still there looking after him, and some things like flushing out his hep-lock, or measuring out his nebulizer meds were done by me, as well as his chest precussion, but he would do the rest himself. as part of his day.

I dont have diabetes, but I get low blood sugar, and one feels pretty ill with unstable sugar levels, so testing my blood has become pretty ordinary.
    what if you let him push the button on the tester? you can try it without a lancet in it. or you gave him a watch with a alarm that is set to go off when his meds are due, and you can say something like, can you remind me to get your meds when the alarm goes off? his being a part of the task makes it less something that is being done to him, and more something he needs to do.

what if you tested your blood sugar too?
    http://www.diabeticnetwork.com/commu...rum=DCForumID7

here is a link to a diabetes forum. I looked through it, briefly, and see that there are quite a few parents with very young newly diagnosed children with typ 1 diabetes. you may be able to find better info there, as well as support from other parents in your situation. if you dont like that forum, there are others. Also childrens hospital of philadelphia has special groups and teams of doctors and counselers to help you with adjusting to living well with diabetes. chop is a great support system for parents.

http://www.chop.edu/service/diabetes...dren/home.html

good luck, and hang in there.

An ex boyfriend of mine has Type I with onset at age six. What I learned from him as an adult about his life with diabetes as a child:

-There are camps for kids with Type I. These can be great as your child gets a little older because it allows ops to learn about diabetes. He will also see he's not the only one and will make friends with other kids living with it.

-There are meters allowing for skin pricks in locations other than fingers. Pricks are less painful when done on the arm as opposed to fingers.

-Insulin is available in inhaled form versus injections and tablets. Your child may be a candidate for this at some point.

-Insulin pumps can work for some individuals living with diabetes and reduce/eliminate the need for shots.

-If shots are the preferred delivery method, rotate the injection site. Go for backs of arms, thighs, tummy.

-As soon as your child is old enough to do his own shots, turn this over to him. It can allow a sense of control over having this thing he did not choose to have.

-Skip junk food. Your child is at an age where he will establish eating habits from you and his mother. Go ahead and learn what works and does not for individuals living with diabetes. No idea about your diet, but your entire family can be in really good health if you aren't already.

-Incorporate exercise into family routines. This can mean a roll/walk around the block, playing together, taking hikes, skiing, camping, tennis, basketball, tee ball, baseball, etc.

-A family dog can help encourage activity for your son, especially when he gets a little older if he is responsible for the dog's feeding, watering and walks.

-Alert any preschool teachers/child care providers about your child's nutritional, activity and med needs. Educate the teachers/care providers about what to look for in your son if his sugar is too high or too low. Let them how to manage any crises he may have while in a classroom or in their care.

-Ditto for grandparents and other relatives.

-Carry small amounts of emergency foods. If your son's sugar drops, these can help give it a bost. Sodas and juice can bump sugar levels quickly, but can cause an unwelcome rebound effect. This means it was too low, now too high, will crash again, etc. Proteins like peranut butter and crackers, small glass of milk, small cheese wedge can help stabilize sugar levels if the level starts to drop.

-Given his young age, you may choose to have a glucose tube available for under the tongue delivery if he should have a reaction and his level drops too low. Side effect of this can be violent vomiting when he comes around. Not so great, but if he will not eat when he begins to have dropped levels, it's better than nothing.

-Eating on a schedule for meals and snacks is crucial. Exercise is, too. So is getting enough sleep.

-Being sick can adversely impact sugar levels. Additional attention to levels is a good idea when he has any illness.

-Stress can upset sugar levels.

-Unstable sugar levels can cause behavior/mood changes. If he behaves oddly, either aggressively or lethargically, check his levels.

That's all I can think of for now. If I jog my memory on anything else I'll post more.

Best to you, your family and your son, Loose. Keep us posted.

Thank you for the info and tips. I appreciate it. Tomorrow he will be released and we go through an all day training class then finally come home.

A member here, swh, has a daughter with juvenile diabetes and he's quite involved in research and fundraising for it - hope he chimes in here with some advice!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    A member here, swh, has a daughter with juvenile diabetes and he's quite involved in research and fundraising for it - hope he chimes in here with some advice!
    Hi lynnifer, I communicated directly via PMs.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.