Thread: Solid as a rock. Really?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Solid as a rock. Really?

So, looking for a little advice from anyone who's been through this. I was injured in late July, 2010 with an L1 and L5 incomplete injury. I've been working like mad at PT ever since and have been successful in getting from a wheelchair to a walker to crutches to two canes. I'm now working on using one cane and it's coming really slow.

My therapist and husband say I'm solid as a rock and seem to think I'm fit for prime time with the one cane. However, I feel terribly off balance and shakey with every step I take. For that reason, I've been using one cane only at home and only under comfortable circumstances. I should also mention that the accident left me with very weak hips, one weaker than the other and I've been getting slow improvment there, bit by bit.

Have you ever, in your recovery road, encountered something that just seems to be a bigger roadblock than others? How did you deal with it?

Hi truly, my injury was in July also. I think your doing fantastic. i was told early on that i would hit plateaus where i might not make noticeable improvent but if i stuck to it there would be gains down the road. I've had times when i slipped backwards some. They were right, as i'm still making progress. You will too. Dont push it past your comfort zone, it will come.

You are kicking ass!! Try some forearm crutches - better stability. Give everything it's time - a blown out shoulder will set you back.

You are doing what's known as plateauing. Happens to every athlete. Weight lifters get stuck where they can't pick up anymore, runners get stuck on a time. Usually something as simple as the time of day you work out or a change in diet can help. Sometimes its just a matter of time.
    When you first were hurt, getting of bed is a big step. Then standing another big step. Taking your first step was probably a big deal, but your third step wasn't. The closer you get to normal functions the more it will seem to you that your not gaining. Because you don't have far to go.