Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Take A Peek At Some Future Wheelchairs

Quote Originally Posted by JenR View Post
    What is the difference with the other segway wheelchairs?
    I actually didn't set out to design a wheelchair, so I'm not familiar with wheelchairs in general. Some of the other members are probably better qualified to discern the different advantages and disadvantages. The prototype in the video was designed to meet my particular mobility needs, and it's been suggested it might help others.

My original goal was to develop a flexible and adaptable robotic exoskeleton that could be customized for different applications. I saw an opportunity to build on an existing platform to develop some new products.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    from Scott- www.allychair.com

www.gennymobility.com

Segway conversions.

That's great Max. There is no doubt that operating on two wheels would really free up our lives. I would love to try all the conversions.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 06-07-2011 at 07:15 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post

www.gennymobility.com

Segway conversions.

That's great Max. There is no doubt that operating on two wheels would really free up our lives. I would love to try all the conversions.
    Thanks, in my mind the prototype compares favorably against other exoskeleton projects like E-legs, Rewalk, REX, etc. You can see in the video most people don't even notice me. I've found that if I am at my normal height, travelling at pedestrian speed, and don't take up any more space than my shoulder width, people don't care if I'm walking or rolling.

www.gennymobility.com

Segway conversions.

Has anyone seen any of these ally chairs? Are they any good?

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Has anyone seen any of these ally chairs? Are they any good?
    Balancing chairs offer great maneuverablility in a small footprint, but they've only been recently offered for sale in the US. I don't believe there is an established dealer network for people to test drive the chairs so you have to travel to the manufacturer or maybe catch them at a trade show.
    Last edited by maxlumen; 06-15-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Here's a video showing the prototype on hills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8KbCby0kfs

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Sure is nice watching you go wherever you like and being comfortable also.

A lot of us have trunk strength or balance problems along with poor or nonexistent hand function. I like the gennymobility one with the handlebars in the front. I could clip onto them with gloves quads use for hand-cycling
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Welcome. It is good to see you here.

What is the type and capacity of the battery for the chair?

Sure is nice watching you go wherever you like and being comfortable also.

A lot of us have trunk strength or balance problems along with poor or nonexistent hand function. I like the gennymobility one with the handlebars in the front. I could clip onto them with gloves quads use for hand-cycling
    The prototype being tested in the video was designed to provide access to work surfaces like a countertop, stove or sink. The prototype is functional, but still very early stage and is probably only useful to a limited population. Based on what I am learning from testing, additional support structures and control options could be offered in future designs.

The challenge for developers trying to give people affordable access to new hardware is finding a viable business model. For example, the IGlide seems to be well regarded, but people may not have access to the Tech in the future because J&J wasn't able to develop a sustainable business. I've been in contact with the NSF about funding for a next generation exoskeleton design that could help a broader population. NSF budgets are under scrutiny and their program directors are looking for Market validation as part of their review process. Constructive feedback from potential users/customers could be helpful.
    Last edited by maxlumen; 06-17-2011 at 09:29 AM.