Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: swiming with indwelling

swiming with indwelling

I have a indwelling cath, whats the best way to go swiming with it... or with out it.

Thanks
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

Don't know of any official recommendations and we don't recommend swimming with the catheter in.But I would try and contain it in some way, Some disconnect it and try to enclose it in some way so the water can't get in.
    CWO

What if you have a suprapubic ? mark

I would say try without it. Most time I don't tinkle in water. It's like it knows. And if you do tinkle a tad, hey, who hasn't
    God is good

I used to do aquatherapy with my SP cath. My physical therapy center is attached to our local YMCA - so we share the pool. I would take off the leg bag (who wants to see that??), plug the open end of the catheter with a cap (basically one of the caps from a pee bag that I inserted backwards so it would plug the hole without getting stuck), and tuck the tube into my swim suit so it wasn't hanging out. I'd almost always end up leaking a little out my urethra during therapy, because my bladder holds pretty much nothing before it spasms. But it wasn't much. Of course, MANY would argue that any amount of pee in a pool is too much!!!

It probably wasn't the most sterile thing I could have done, and I was lucky that I didn't end up with a UTI from doing it. I had to eventually stop doing aquatherapy While I LOVED what it did for me, and what I could physically do in a pool that I couldn't do on land, the chlorinated water irritated my cath site too much, so I had to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by rollinprincess3227 View Post
    I would say try without it. Most time I don't tinkle in water. It's like it knows. And if you do tinkle a tad, hey, who hasn't
    LOL true. but I filled my quota for my lifetime pre SCI for pissing in the pool.

nice to know there are other people with my class out there, thanks R.P

I swim with an SP in a pool. My urologist told me to use a tagaderm patch (the clear adhesive covering for covering an I.V. line) and to cover the stoma. I have not had a problem, and I have had the patch not adhere well at times. The main thing my doc has told me was no swimming in a lake or ocean, pool only. Talk to a urologist as everyone has a different situation, but covering the skin and that part of the catheter should be fine.

When I go on holiday I use an indwelling and I get what is called a flip flow valve and attach that, make sure it is turned off so nothing can go in or out and I tuck it in my bottoms like a long thin willy hahah xx

Quote Originally Posted by mike b View Post
    I swim with an SP in a pool. My urologist told me to use a tagaderm patch (the clear adhesive covering for covering an I.V. line) and to cover the stoma. I have not had a problem, and I have had the patch not adhere well at times. The main thing my doc has told me was no swimming in a lake or ocean, pool only. Talk to a urologist as everyone has a different situation, but covering the skin and that part of the catheter should be fine.
    I would have loved that option. However, my stoma is fairly low - an inch or so down into my pubic hair, so a tagaderm patch in that area might be a tad uncomfortable to remove! Or perhaps it would have been an alternate way to just wax the area

so would using a cathater plug like this -http://www.allegromedical.com/catheters-c539/catheter-plug-p188657.html and tape it on the cath so the bugger doesn't slide off and use a tagederm at the head to prevent and water going up the ureathra. is that good enough, i personally don't care about peeing in the pool that much I just want to avoid more uti's.

thanks again