Thread: T-10 incomplete recovery after 5 months

T-10 incomplete recovery after 5 months

I started out fully paralyzed from the waist down dec 26th 2010. So far i have recovered some bladder function, i can tell when i need to pee and hold it in for a minute or 2 before going. i cant feel any sexual stimulation, but i do get intense spasm type stomach pains whenever i try to touch or wash there.

I have complete control over my left leg, tho it is fairly weak. the right leg i dont have full control over, mostly just thigh control. when i try to my my right knee up, my whole leg gets real stiff and doesnt let me bend it. i have feeling in both legs, tho its a bit dull, and i cannot feel hot or cold. I can stand in a walker and take steps with the left leg, then drag the right leg forward. Recently ive been able to let go of the walker and stand by myself for about 10 seconds before i lose balance.

I was just wondering if its normal for one leg to recover before the other? and will the weird stomach pains go away with time? thanks.

It's only been five months. You should try to get on a treadmill. Are you in rehab? It sounds like you're a candidate for getting more return if you work at it. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh017 View Post
    I started out fully paralyzed from the waist down dec 26th 2010. So far i have recovered some bladder function, i can tell when i need to pee and hold it in for a minute or 2 before going. i cant feel any sexual stimulation, but i do get intense spasm type stomach pains whenever i try to touch or wash there.

I have complete control over my left leg, tho it is fairly weak. the right leg i dont have full control over, mostly just thigh control. when i try to my my right knee up, my whole leg gets real stiff and doesnt let me bend it. i have feeling in both legs, tho its a bit dull, and i cannot feel hot or cold. I can stand in a walker and take steps with the left leg, then drag the right leg forward. Recently ive been able to let go of the walker and stand by myself for about 10 seconds before i lose balance.

I was just wondering if its normal for one leg to recover before the other? and will the weird stomach pains go away with time? thanks.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I always thought one leg was better than the other. Mine has never been the same, one is more spastic, one is stronger front and the other back, one knee never wanted to bend right, I have full movement in the toes in one foot and not in the other but my feet still are as strong as normal.

I think whatever you end with is normal for you and with only five month you seems to have a good chance.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Hi, great news that you are not paralyzed. At 5 mo it ounds like you are getting good return. My legs are till week, but I keep on standing, swimming, and walking with my walker. I am almost 7 mo post. My left leg is weeker, but I have more swelling yet on that side. The one thing I can tell you is work hard your first year especially because return is best the first year, although every situation is different. A nu step or recumbent bike will alo help with strength in legs. Your legs will likely catch up after training keep pushing yourself. I don't know how your balance is, this past month I have been walking with a cane and around the house I walk without any aid just using furniture to guide myself. Sometimes when I walk I feel like my guts could fall out it's hard to explain, it's the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.

You mentioned your foot not following, there are special braces they can put on you for walking and keeping feet straight. I just really try and concentrate when I walk that I keep my feet straight in the hospital I had foot drop and had special boots on for awhile. It all takes time to heal and nerves grow slowly. I also have neuropothy, but I can say it is a little better feet just feel hot and cold at same time. It does not stop me from walking.

Good luck to you, you are young and that is another plus for you. Keep up the hard work you will see it is worth the pain.
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

It is common for one side to be weaker than the other.
    Do you take Baclofen, or one of the other meds for the spasticity? Sometimes the movement is inhibited by too much spasticity.
    CWO

Hi I'm 4 months post. One leg is much better then the other. I can just start to move my toes on one foot but the other is still num. Keep working out. I try to rehab during the day. Try picking up your legs when sitting. Move your foot rests out of the way in your chair, and work your legs when sitting. Try to do something all the time.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

[QUOTE=Josh017;1373873]I started out fully paralyzed from the waist down dec 26th 2010.

Im a t-5/6 inc...You sound like my twin in this SCi thing..left leg stronger. Man whatever movement you have work it bro..try the pool for anti-gravity excersie. using motomed passively is a good way to reduce spasms in legs if they are hinderin walking. weight bear when feasible. Use that parrallel bar if needed. Sounds like you have Diaphram spasm feels like your abs tighten up. As far as sexual function keep messin wit it I think you are learning new ways to stimulate..what I mean i use try all nite w/o success..keep trying

One thing I learned is this SCI thing the doctors might not know everything you become the advocate...you life is a constant experiment of trial and error..so keep throwin shit at the wall until somethig sticks.
    Appreciate the small gains and the large ones will be ignored!!

Thank you everyone for your responses! Its been a month since i created this post, and i have noticed that i can now move my toes on the left leg!! is that a good sign that i will get full control over that leg soon? and as far as my sexual feeling, when i touch there i dont get the spasms in my stomach anymore thankfully, but now my legs tremble really bad instead :/ my goal is to be able to use a cane instead of a walker by october 1st. i have a dance performance for my birthday party and i want to be able be a part of the performance... thats my dream

great that you are getting some recovery!
    I have a weaker side and stronger side, and am low incomplete. I can walk with braces and cane, but cant pee on my own.

oh, and welcome to care cure. sorry you got injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh017 View Post

It is completely normal. I have good control of my right leg but almost nothing in my left. It sounds like you're on the road to recover. What do you do for physio?
    Never Give Up!