Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: little help

little help

i had a laminectomy l1-l2 and a l3-l4 foraminotomy in early march. on thursday i must of slept wrong because i woke up with searing hot pain in my lower back. today i needed help sitting up and getting out of bed. the pain seems to be increasing but it's hard to tell because it's so bad. i was told by my dr that it could take 6-9 months for the pain to go away. i think this happened once before but not to this extent. i've got some numbness back in my left foot and more numbness down my right leg along with pain the wraps around my pelvis. has anyone else had these type of set backs during recovery. i feel it's long past the time to be having "break-thru" pain but not sure. any advice would be great.

everyone have a great holiday.
    ddd t1-6, f/x t8 thru t-11, fusion at t-9/t-10, 1 1/2" bruse on cord, fusion at t-12/1-1, lamy at L-1/L-2, foraminotomy at L-3/L-4 , protrusion at L5/S-1. ain't much left to fail
    Well I guess I was wrong.

Hi,

Do you have a spinal cord injury?
    If the pain is worsening and also the numbness, I would contact your doctor.

AAD

sci,

yes i do, i have a 1-1 1/2" bruse on my cord at t-9/10. the last time this happened the pain only lasted a few days and it was a month or so from surgery. i posted back in feb that i had two different opions from two dr's and dr young got back to me with-in a day. i had a choice of having a lamy or a 3 level fusion at l-1/l-2 because the one at t-12/l-1 had failed. i went with the minimally invasive surgery. i was just wondering if anyone else has had this break thru pain this late into recovery. i do plan on asking my dr. for an mri when i call on wed. i wanted to give it time to heal incase it's just from sleeping wrong on it and it's just pushed the disk a little.

thanks for your quick reply
    ddd t1-6, f/x t8 thru t-11, fusion at t-9/t-10, 1 1/2" bruse on cord, fusion at t-12/1-1, lamy at L-1/L-2, foraminotomy at L-3/L-4 , protrusion at L5/S-1. ain't much left to fail

By the grace of god they granted me an mri. Well low and behold I now have a l5/s1 protrusion. I asked back in early March when my back spasms started, to get looked at, i was told that i was only 4-5 weeks post-op and it could happen. fast forward to May 26th when it happened again, I guess it took a call over a holiday weekend to get things going.

I was trying to tell her that my spasms are in the area of the Lamey not at l5/s1, she said "that's why were the medical professionals, we'll decide that".
    My Drs PA hates when you mention you look on the internet for info and advice. i was looking on the web for the signs and symptoms of both a protrusion a l5/s1 and maybe a failed lamy at L1-L2. I have yet to find on the evil interweb where L5-S1 protrusion would cause severe spasms in the area of L1-L-2 couldn't find anything, but then again, I'm just another 15 min appointment now aren't I..........
    Last edited by FIREGUY; 06-08-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Fireguy I hope you feel better soon! Take care!

well back under a new name - it's time for surgery number 5. lamy has failed and time for a 3 level fusion.

back for surgery number 5

after 4 wonderful surgeries it's hi time I head back for number 5. weakness and numbness is increasing when I stand straight up. nuro. said a 3 level fusion is needed. great way to end the summer.

I've either broken every vertebra, had a fusion done or had screws(hardware)from T-8 down to L-2.
    On 11/28/16 laminectomy L-2/L-3, 3 level fusion(revision fusion T-12/L-1) rods placed from T-11 through L-1 approx. 6 screws
    02/14/11 lamy at L-1/L-2, foraminotomy at L-3/L-4 , protrusion at L5/S-1
    04/20/07 failed removal of Harrington rods left with permanent nerve damage
    09/15/85 f/x t8 thru t-11, fusion at t-9/t-10, 1 1/2" bruse on cord

Natural progression of disc deterioration and nerve issues

Good day all

i know everyone is different but I need some advice on when it's time to make the decision to get cut.
    i already had a lamy at L2. My nuro's PA said he recommends having a 3 level fusion done but when I'm ready or until issues arise. I already have one previous level hence the 3 level. My orthopedic surgeon placed a plate using anterior approach. My nuro wants to use anterior. I know all about the recovery issues.
    sorry about the long story. When was it right for you to make that decision that you've had enough???
    what was it that made you go??
    right now my legs go numb when I stand straight up and can only sit upright for a short time unless I'm on meds (50 mg of tramadall sometimes 100 I hate taking anything) sp.
    i don't want to wait until it's an emergency.

some input would be reassuring

thanks

I've either broken every vertebra, had a fusion done or had screws(hardware)from T-8 down to L-2.
    On 11/28/16 laminectomy L-2/L-3, 3 level fusion(revision fusion T-12/L-1) rods placed from T-11 through L-1 approx. 6 screws

Have you gotten a second opinion? In the 5 years since you started this thread there have been some advances in medical field. Where do you live? Can you go to one of the big SCI centers, like Craig, Shepherd, Miami project?

You took my screen name. Lol
    i haven't had a second opinion. My dr is very conservative and I'm comfortable with what he says.
    he's from the university of Pennsylvania. I've had surgery at the rothman institute, it was a disaster.
    we have a spinal institute of America near us but after reading reviews I wouldn't go near the place.
    i'm looking for people who have had a disc issue and would like feedback from others who have the same thing. What symptoms to be on the look out for. I don't want it to get to the point where it's an emergency. If you see my signature it's not my first time around the block.