Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what's the best cushion?

I´ve trusted ROHO for over ten years and haven´t had pressure trouble ever since. (knock on wood)

Quote Originally Posted by CurvySAT05 View Post
    I have the Stimulite Classic XS (extra sensitive) and have had no problems with it. Many other people on CC use the Stimulite cushions and recommend them
    You post (being the lastest in many recommending the stimulite custion) convinced me to buy one to try on out. I went to sportaid and was confronted with

"Supracor Stimulite Contoured Flat Bottom Wheelchair Cushion" and "Supracor Stimulite Contoured Sling Bottom Wheelchair Cushion"

I haven't seen this choice before (when I bought my roho hybrid elite I just bought it). What is the difference in the cushion? Does one have a hard insert or something? I looked at the supracor website and nada.

It may be a stupid question but before I spend 300 bucks, which do I get. I suppose my seat is a sling, but it also is flat.

I'm sure you want the flat bottom cushion, Tom. But let's let someone who knows for sure chime in.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I have used an ROHO the whole time from the quatro to duel channels. Right now I'm using the ROHO Hybrid Elite and somedays my skin gets pretty red and looks back to normal after the day in the chair. I have been using ROHO ever since my accident and I had an stage IV wound from ICU but the ROHO works great for me! No problems with a leak either.

No one single best cushion, you need the best one for YOU, do as Ryebread suggests.

T8- I have a sling like yours and I always go with the cheaper one. The more expensive one just has another layer on the bottom that is stiffer. However, I have never had an issue with the other one.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    "Supracor Stimulite Contoured Flat Bottom Wheelchair Cushion" and "Supracor Stimulite Contoured Sling Bottom Wheelchair Cushion"

It may be a stupid question but before I spend 300 bucks, which do I get. I suppose my seat is a sling, but it also is flat.
    My understanding is that the sling bottom version is slightly rounded on the bottom to compensate for the sag in a sling bottom chair.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

The flat bottom is correct for the ZRA bolt-on seat pan.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    You post (being the lastest in many recommending the stimulite custion) convinced me to buy one to try on out. I went to sportaid and was confronted with

I haven't seen this choice before (when I bought my roho hybrid elite I just bought it). What is the difference in the cushion? Does one have a hard insert or something? I looked at the supracor website and nada.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Peterf

Regarding:
    ... change my chair cushion as a butt sore won't heal properly on the one i have. i ve been advised to purchase a jay active with breathable material. anyone know a better cushion? I do need to invest in a good cushion as i spend over 10hrs a day in this ...
    While you have the sore, please accept the earlier mentioned encouragement to greatly reduce the time that you are seated. Remaining off of the sore area, as much as is practicable, is a better alternative than 10 hours a day on most any cushion available today.

Regarding the use of a Jay Active cushion, the Jay Active is heavier and softer than all of the similarly sized Stimulite models, but even with the associated breathable cover the Jay Active is not as breathable as any of the Stimulite models.

t8burst,

Regarding:
    ... Supracor Stimulite Contoured Flat Bottom Wheelchair Cushion and Supracor Stimulite Contoured Sling Bottom Wheelchair Cushion ... What is the difference in the cushion? ... which do I get.
    The sling bottom option refers to a slightly curved (from side to side, not front to back) bottom cushion surface that will; if the chair's seat upholstery sags a bit, produce a better cushion fit on the chair seat and consequently better distributed support of the seated person's weight. Incidentally (since Peterf mentioned the Jay Active), by default the Jay Active cushion comes with a sling bottom.

I sit an a Ride Forward seat cushion. www.ridedesigns.com I did pressure mapping on a bunch of different seat cushions in rehab and found the Ride Forward to be the best. It also helps me sit up straighter as it scoops your butt. I've had it for 3 years now and haven't had any problems with pressure sores.