Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first real skin issue

Question My first real skin issue

Ok so a few months ago I went over my wheel getting into my chair and I guess that's how I got this scrape like looking spot. Well it developed a litle but we got it down to a red spot the size of a pin prick. Well a drive of 9 hrs to and from the abilities expo and this thing is back and not good. It was an open spot ( scab came off) and now it's scabbing again. What do you do for a couple month long sore that has a scab surrounded by red. I was a lifeguard and I automatically think infected but maybe it's part of the pressure spot in this case

I don't know if you have been following the Vetericyn thread but if it was me I would buy some and start applying it to the wound asap. I get mine from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Vetericyn-1000...sr=1-1-catcorr

Quote Originally Posted by ECUrach85 View Post
    Ok so a few months ago I went over my wheel getting into my chair and I guess that's how I got this scrape like looking spot. Well it developed a litle but we got it down to a red spot the size of a pin prick. Well a drive of 9 hrs to and from the abilities expo and this thing is back and not good. It was an open spot ( scab came off) and now it's scabbing again. What do you do for a couple month long sore that has a scab surrounded by red. I was a lifeguard and I automatically think infected but maybe it's part of the pressure spot in this case
    Hello,

As t8burst said, Microcyn/Vetericyn would help immensely. Just clean the wound with Microcyn/Vetericyn leaving it wet. Put a gauze bandage soaked with M/V on it and leave until evening or morning and redo it. You should see a change after a day or two.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Hi,

I would continue washing it daily and cover with dry gauze. i would let the scab provide a natural covering. Do not have any personal experience with the above product.
    If there is no oozing, fever, swelling or pain at the side- and the scab is getting smaller(although slowly), it does not sound infected at the time. There is usually a little redness around a scab.

The most critical thing is to keep the pressure off.

AAD

Do I get rid of the scab first?

Didn't see your post nurse. Thanks for reply

Nine hours of riding in a vehicle without pressure relief is too many. I learned that and a lot of other stuff in 39.5 years of quad-dom. You need to heal that sore in time for the wedding.
    I wonder if you lost too much weight, which plays a role in skin issues.

I was at Expo on Saturday and met Colours team member Santina. I looked for you but in a crowd of 1,000 or so, couldn't find you.

Blog Entries
    The most important thing is to GET OFF OF IT!!! I played the game of "staying off of it as much as I could" 7 years ago. It didn't get any better, but didn't SEEM to get any worse but was actually staying the same at the surface while moving down to the bone. When it went south, it went from a surface wound about 2 mm in diameter to a 10 mm cavity that went right to the bone. I spent 6 or 7 weeks with a wound vac, which did not heal the deep part of the wound, and 10 weeks recovering from flap surgery.

I'm sure that you can find plenty of similar stories in the Care forum, and the bottom line is that a week or two of bed rest is far better than having to repair a wound.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

i apologize for mentioning the taboo word "weight" to a woman. But whatever the cause, skin sores are nothing to mess with. As Donno implied, the sore always wins if you don't treat it properly. There are enough horror stories about skin wounds on this forum. I would prefer that Rachelle read them rather than write them.

As tempting as it is, don't pick off the scab. I've done this all my life, I still do it, but it's not a good idea with sores on our pressure areas.

Lots of good advice here, good luck!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ECUrach85 View Post
    Do I get rid of the scab first?
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!