Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts? Caregiver in exchange for rent

Quote Originally Posted by Patty41 View Post
    . As others have already pointed out the importance of checking and re-checking those references.
    Can anyone recommend a specific service or method of checking references economically?

Thanks
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

For references, I require a phone number of previous employers and I call them myself directly to 1) confirm they were a previous employer and 2) ask them if they would again employ the person. Legally that is all they can say, although many offer more information in addition.

For background checks, once we select the person we are most interested in hiring, we pay a private investigator (in this case, a personal friend who does this work). She does a fairly comprehensive check for us for less than $100. We may offer the position contingent upon the background check being "clean", which we can usually confirm in 2-3 days. We have withdrawn a job offer based on a bad background check.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    For references, I require a phone number of previous employers and I call them myself directly to 1) confirm they were a previous employer and 2) ask them if they would again employ the person. Legally that is all they can say, although many offer more information in addition.

For background checks, once we select the person we are most interested in hiring, we pay a private investigator (in this case, a personal friend who does this work). She does a fairly comprehensive check for us for less than $100. We may offer the position contingent upon the background check being "clean", which we can usually confirm in 2-3 days. We have withdrawn a job offer based on a bad background check.

(KLD)
    Thanks KLD! $100 is more than I expected.but of course worth it once you have narrowed down person...but I guess it depends on the extent of the background check too..so many services online..but not sure which actually work.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    Can anyone recommend a specific service or method of checking references economically?

Thanks
    One free resource is if the individual is a licensed CNA/LPN/RN/RT/PT (and I believe some states also include Home Health Aides), you can access their license information with their state Board of Health Profession, or Board of Nursing to see if their license has ever had any type of complaint lodged against them. Once a complaint has risen to the point of being investigated and found to be valid by the board; no matter the outcome, positive or negative, that complaint, along with the board's decision, will follow that licensee for life and available for public access.

Thumbs up care giver pay

thanks;

Joe
    Jake's Pop