Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would it be worth it to attend project walk for 3 months?

Would it be worth it to attend project walk for 3 months?

That would literally cost at lest 15k. Thought?

Hey there, I just recently finished a 9 week stay at a center which is the same as "Project Walk", but without the name. Did I find it worth it? Yes and No. Here is what I think...........I did notice that my body got stronger, but this is obvious since it is a workout and exercising by any nature helps the body! Other than having been plugged to a FES bike and having taken steps on a treadmill with plenty of assistance, I believe that all other movements or exerrcises can be done at home (which is exactly what I´ve been doing ever since). All the equipment they had is normal equipment that you will find at a regular gym, the difference is that you have assistance while you are there, to help with the transfers onto the machinery and with the exercises. Maybe going to a local gym and hiring a personal trainer will cost the same or less.
    My level of injury T10, complete, 3yrs post.
    Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    if you have a good personal trainer you can rely on I would suggest going to project walk with your trainer. They have a train your trainer program that is a little pricey but worth it. You should be able to get a good understanding in a week or two.

look into neuroxcel in palm beach florida...excellent place, pure strength building..they have a lokomat pro.....cost is much less (approx 3k/month..5 days/week//3 hrs /day)....

http://www.neuroxcel.com/home
    - Rolling Thru Life -

I just had my 1 year quadiversary on Monday and it makes ya think....I'm not so new anymore. I'm a little scared. I feel like I missed out on a lot in therapy and that I could have done more

Blog Entries
    It's never too late to start. Our experiences with PT have been awful. Project Walk was a breath of fresh air.

Quote Originally Posted by ECUrach85 View Post
    I just had my 1 year quadiversary on Monday and it makes ya think....I'm not so new anymore. I'm a little scared. I feel like I missed out on a lot in therapy and that I could have done more
    If you don't mind the observation of a 44 year post SCI you are doing great! Whatever you might have missed out on is replaced by your drive and determination, all of which you have a great deal of. I have no advice on the "walk programs" other than that 15 grand will buy a great many things in life........but only you can decide if you want to or can afford it. I would personally put that money aside for a vehicle, but that's just me (and my aging van..)

ECU

Project Walk offers several programs that would allow you to take what you do here and use it at home. I am assuming the 15K includes travel costs, hotel, food, etc.. as 3 months of training hours would not equal that amount. The majority of our clients are on a 3-4 day a week schedule, 2-3 hours per day. We encourage our clients to stay away from 5 days a week for multiple hours as that can lead to overtraining.

missk

If the center isn't "Project Walk" or "Project Walk Certifed" then it isn't the "same". Although some of the equipment we have is the same as in a regular gym, we do not use it the way you would in a regular gym. The exercises performed are specific to SCI and to regaining function where you have none or it is weak. For instance, you would never see a para performing upper body exercises in our facilities unless it was to assist in targeting increased function in their core or lower extremities.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

I Attending PW last month for 2 weeks and it was worth every penny. It is such a motivating environment and everyone there is great. You also get the opportunity to meet many great people and hear some great stories. The training is like nothing I have ever experienced elsewhere.
    I cant wait to go back!

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    If you don't mind the observation of a 44 year post SCI you are doing great! Whatever you might have missed out on is replaced by your drive and determination, all of which you have a great deal of. I have no advice on the "walk programs" other than that 15 grand will buy a great many things in life........but only you can decide if you want to or can afford it. I would personally put that money aside for a vehicle, but that's just me (and my aging van..)
    What she said.