Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAA to place restrictions on model airplanes

Blog Entries

Red face FAA to place restrictions on model airplanes

That's right, you might be facing restrictions on your RC plane. I thought it nuts too, but some of the restrictions caught me attention; no real jet engines, no speeds above 100mph, no height above 400 feet, a 50 pound weight limit. Apparently rich boys toys have advanced this hobby. The you tube video is from the 2010 Top Gun Model Plane Invitational.

http://youtu.be/m9zz0uvUZmU
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    funny, i was checking out the jet engine rc's on you tube yesterday. they say some will go 400mph.
    i can see regulations for ones like this though:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmKdA...eature=related

It wouldn't surprise me if model rockets are next if they already aren't restricted.

since 9/11, ppl have actually reported rc aircraft, thinking they were real.

anyway, why does anybody need an rc aircraft that gors anywhere near 100 mph? as for the altitude limit, i think that answer is obvious.

Are these planes banned outright, or would you need to register them or get a permit or something? Unbelievable BS either way.

Cass, it's not uncommon for even modest R/C planes to fly higher or faster than these limits.

This is BS.

Has there been a horrific accident caused by a large RC model that has sparked this? Or is the government just trying to sacrifice more of our freedoms in the name of security?

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    since 9/11, ppl have actually reported rc aircraft, thinking they were real.

anyway, why does anybody need an rc aircraft that gors anywhere near 100 mph? as for the altitude limit, i think that answer is obvious.
    people also claim to see UFO's, maybe they should ban those too

are any of you real pilots? geesh. come one. think. as for the UFO comment, talk about non sequitur. if ppl need an RC that exceeds 100 mph and 400 ft., fine. just stay outta real airspace or you will deal w/FAA. like it or not.

Cass, real planes need to maintain 1000ft. min altitude except around airports or in completely uninhabited places. At 400ft they'd crash into antennas, tall buildings, hills, etc. Real planes are WAY more likely to strike large birds even well above 1000ft.

I used to live on a decent-sized private airport, and we flew model airplanes there regularly without problems. Turns out real pilots like model airplanes too.

I can understand regulations governing very large, fast moving R/C with masses approaching that of light aircraft, but even then they shouldn't be banned outright. Perhaps they should require a certification that the hobbyist can handle them safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazlo View Post
    Cass, real planes need to maintain 1000ft. min altitude except around airports or in completely uninhabited places. At 400ft they'd crash into antennas, tall buildings, hills, etc. Real planes are WAY more likely to strike large birds even well above 1000ft.

I used to live on a decent-sized private airport, and we flew model airplanes there regularly without problems. Turns out real pilots like model airplanes too.

I can understand regulations governing very large, fast moving R/C with masses approaching that of light aircraft, but even then they shouldn't be banned outright. Perhaps they should require a certification that the hobbyist can handle them safely.
    lazlo, yeah. i got my pilot's license in 1979. flown a wittman tailwind xcountry coupla times, coast to coast. was just wondering what the uproar is about. i even have an RC. BUT, if ppl are being reckless, then the FAA will get involved.

i don't believe i ever said anything about banning them and i never will.

btw, done aerobatics, too. the 1k limit is not as simple as you say...but, another time, another thread, perhaps.

isn't this ADV at least 3 yrs ago?? op, plz tell me source for your post. and note: this is an FAA ADV, not a restriction. if you dunno the diff, look it up, plz.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3154924AA3iSsG
    Last edited by cass; 05-27-2011 at 01:35 AM. Reason: date