Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rollx van - is it worn out?

Blog Entries
    I saw a Braun 2010 Caravan the other day when mine was getting the tie down repaired. To create more interior room they hung the spare underneath the back end. In two years that will be frozen in place and you'd have to have a tow when you have a flat. Can't anyone learn from past mistakes?
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

reckon how a person is suppose to get that out from under the van? amazes me there thought pattern, don't make it easier, make it harder, i guess they figure we're all cripples and either have someone with us or we have plenty of money being they want 60grand for a van.........

Quote Originally Posted by EricaBold9780 View Post
    I have a 2004 Chevrolet Venture Entervan with around 50,000 miles on it, and it has a mind of its own.

It had a kneeling issue a few years ago (that has since been corrected. It would kneel and then not come back up, causing severe hydraulic bouncing when trying to drive it). Now I'm having issues with the power system having a mind of its own when it comes to closing the doors; the starter; and the fold out ramp that decides when it wants to fold and unfold properly, which in turn determines if the right door closes or not. The left door just closes when it feels like it. I also had the weather stripping on the left side peel off and haven't had it replaced (you can hear the wind blowing in the van). My mom was driving it, parked it, and the cable from the steering mechanism broke last Thanksgiving weekend while she was in the store (had to have it towed back to Sugar Land). Spent 4 days in the shop due to this.

Recently, the battery needed to be replaced. Chevrolet wouldn't even touch it due to the extra wiring needed for my controls, so I can understand airart1's last post. $114 and a few hours of labor later, my cousin managed to change it for us. I don't even want to think about how much rust he saw when he finally got that thing out LOL
    Here we go again LOL Last Friday, the power door AND fold out ramp decided to stop working. It would only kneel down in the back until we went thru at least 2 cycles of manually opening the door and pulling the ramp out. Then power cycling everything back on.

It has been touch and go all weekend and the beginning of this week. We managed (my parents and I) to get it to deploy Monday just enough to get me back out of the van after my class that afternoon. This came after having to physically lift me into the back seat and then lift my new ZRA2 (e.motion M15 power assist wheels and all) into the middle section and tie down the chair.

FYI for users in the Houston/Pasadena, TX areas: If you purchased your van fully modified from, or had your van modified at Mobility Plus, they no longer installl/service Braun EnterVan conversions. Adaptive Driving Aids is going to service my van tomorrow afternoon to find the root of the problem. I'm about ready to chuck the thing and get either a truck or a full size van soon.
    Last edited by EricaBold9780; 10-27-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Things went further south this afternoon. We took my portable ramp from the house (not a perfect fit for a minivan but it was all we had to get me in) and had to use it to get me into the van. Get back home and the ramp decides to work again to get me out of the van. Taking it to ADA as mentioned in my last post, tomorrow.

I kind of had the same problem Erica. It would work sometimes and other times it didn't. In fact the van wouldn't even start. I had it towed at least ten times If they jump started the van and then tried to test it, it would show nothing was wrong. Had, all kinds of things changed. Even had it towed to Canada two times to see if they could figure it out. Finally, a small car mechanic place figured it was a slightly burned wire going from my van to teh conversion part of the van. Changed the wire and bingo no more problems for the last two years.

We even had Tiger from VMI on the phone for at least 4 hours trying to hunt down the problem. I think total costs including towing was over 5 grand. I was ready to sell it if it happened again. I still kind of wince when starting it once in a while.
    Good luck tomorrow. It sounds like a short. Make sure they check the wire that directs power to the conversion part from the van.

$500 USD to replace a modular sensor that is located behind the spare. It controls the kneeling suspension, ramp and power doors. Have to wait for the part to come in.

Quote Originally Posted by airart1 View Post
    i think its the rollex conversion, suppose to be the worst if there is a worst being there's only braun and them now, vmi was bought by braun, but i was told not to touch a rellex conversion, that they were trash........at one time midas was the only place u could get them worked on, i dont know anymore....
    VMI was not bought out by Braun IMS was.

I've been building and selling mobility vans for close to 25 years and would never recommend for anyone to buy a Rollex conversion.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Good grief! Were driving that thing at Martinsville? I know Chrysler vehicles do not last, but that is absurd. I have about 60k on my 2003 Toyota Sienna VMI Rampvan and I expect to get at least another 60k. Although the door opener gets a bit sluggish in cold weather, there have been no other problems. With your van's history and condition, I doubt that you will even get the lowest blue book value.

I have had customers put more than 160k miles on Dodge or Chrysler lowered floor mini vans going back to the 80's.

I think they hold up just fine.

Your 2003 would be a IMS rampvan.

In 2003 VMI did not do a Toyota conversion.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Beagle View Post
    Nope, no beating and banging! Actually I think it is very well cared for! The engine must of had a defect as Chrysler replaced it with no questions asked.

Rollx is replacing the control head for the seat so I am down to the rattles and the rear tires. The dodge dealer doesn't want to do the rear axles because of the modifications and Rollx says they didn't change anything except for the chain that pulls the wheel up and the dealer says "exactly"!
    I have a 2009 SXT from RollX and i love it. You can't ask for better customer service if you have a problem when it come to a RollX. We have Braun van at work with 26000 miles on it and it's always in the shop. As far as rattles, i haven't had a van that didn't rattle over time. The key to preventing the rattles is to tackle the rattle when it occurs.

After having my van for three months the check engine light came on and it only had 15000 miles on it. I brought it to a Chrysler dealer near my house and they said the catalytic converter needed to be replaced. They said it wasn't under warranty but and i told them different. I contacted RollX and told them the issue i was having and they contacted the Chrysler dealer.. I received a phone call an hour later from the dealer telling me the converter will be replaced under warranty. CHEERS to ROLLX..

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I kind of had the same problem Erica. It would work sometimes and other times it didn't. In fact the van wouldn't even start. I had it towed at least ten times If they jump started the van and then tried to test it, it would show nothing was wrong. Had, all kinds of things changed. Even had it towed to Canada two times to see if they could figure it out. Finally, a small car mechanic place figured it was a slightly burned wire going from my van to teh conversion part of the van. Changed the wire and bingo no more problems for the last two years.

We even had Tiger from VMI on the phone for at least 4 hours trying to hunt down the problem. I think total costs including towing was over 5 grand. I was ready to sell it if it happened again. I still kind of wince when starting it once in a while.
    Good luck tomorrow. It sounds like a short. Make sure they check the wire that directs power to the conversion part from the van.
    Tiger from VMI is a great guy who really knows his stuff.

He's helped us on more than one occasion with some really tough repairs that other local mobility dealers were unable to repair.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA