Thread: Skin flora in Urine

Skin flora in Urine

I do intermittent cauterization and twice in the last six months I have had gunk in my urine which I decided to send in for a C&S. Each time the culture came back negative for UTI and the urologist's nurse said it was just skin flora / cells in my urine. In both cases it just decreased and finally phased out to no cells / flora after 4-6 days.

For the last ten days or so I have had large amounts every time I cath throughout the day.

Except for a cup of tea in the morning I am usually just drinking water throughout day and night, so no coffee, alcohol , or liquids sometimes associated with irritating bladder wall. I am getting some intermittent burning pain and discomfort in my bladder area but mxed w/ other pains I can't say for sure it is coming from bladder.

I am stumped as to what is going on and don't see any change in sight.

Anyone with similar experience or suggestions as to what might be going on?
    thanks,
    Ches
    Last edited by ChesBay; 05-24-2011 at 02:16 AM. Reason: typo

Hi Ches,

I wish I could help but I had the same thing about 10 years ago. My urologist noticed all the "white" particles in my specimens. He sent it off and said it was skin. He never mentioned anything about it again and it has been gone now for years.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

I get a little piece of white floatie every time I cath. It looks like just a mere whisp of white cotton. I have never had it analysed. I am infection free (touch wood) for about 2 years and drink tea, coffee, alcohol, everything.

....but hey, that's just extra information for you, not really saying you do or do not have a problem.

Hi,

This sediment is not indicative as an infection and requires no treatment, as you've been told. I have known some people who have noted a change in amount of sediment if they change to a latex-free catheter, but that is not to say this pertains to you.
    If it is causing you no problem, I would look on it as a nuisance and continue to maintiain adequate fluids and try to forget about it.

AAD

Thanks to everyone for responses. I will keep an eye on things and hopefully just cycle out of it.

My brother has had a similar type of problem off/on to the pont of the catherter (S/P) clogging up. I am convinced that it is the lining of the bladder sloughing off, since both times I was insistent on a cysto and both times a bladder stone was found. He is asymtomatic for UTI when this happens and it isn't grit but more of a white slime. He is awaiting stone removal as I write. Neither stone was seen on X-ray or ultrasound. Might be worth checking out. Good luck to you.

Every SCI person should be getting screened for stones yearly through an ultrasound. The above info is correct, sediment can sometimes be related to stones. So, if you have not had a yearly screening recently, I would get this done.( I guess I assume this is occurring, but we know about assuming..)
    AAD

Quote Originally Posted by lilsister View Post
    My brother has had a similar type of problem off/on to the pont of the catherter (S/P) clogging up. I am convinced that it is the lining of the bladder sloughing off, since both times I was insistent on a cysto and both times a bladder stone was found. He is asymtomatic for UTI when this happens and it isn't grit but more of a white slime. He is awaiting stone removal as I write. Neither stone was seen on X-ray or ultrasound. Might be worth checking out. Good luck to you.
    Thanks lilisister, I am scheduled for an ultrasound as part of annual urology checkup I'll see if that indicates anything unusual but also keep in my mind that it might take a cysto to detect a stone.

I am working on a possible theory for this problem... I just finished a box of Coloplast 14fr caths and a few times as I was putting lubricant on , sliding through sterile pkg. and thought I felt a bit of a burr or rough spot but dismissed idea because that has never happened before. I am using a new batch of caths, things are starting to clear up w/ urine and it has me wondering if I got a batch of caths where the eyelet was slightly defective / less than smooth and causing the irritation?

We'll see. Thanks again.

I too have the fluffy white floaters from my SP, and tests always were neg for UTI. My Nurse Practitioner says it's sediment and to drink and pee often to minimize the stuff. I looked at the stuff on a cotton swab and it is like thin mucus. There is no pain or smell to my urine either. It still concerns me to see the stuff just the same, but "drink and pee often" seams to be a key factor to help keep the bladder happy.