Thread: Syrinx or Residual Spinal Canal?

Syrinx or Residual Spinal Canal?

Would you consider this a syrinx or a residual spinal canal? It is 2mm in diameter on the axials. I am having numbness at the c7 vertebral prominence, with arm symptoms. I am having slight loss of temperature at c7.
    If I have symptoms does that mean it is not residual spinal canal? I see conflicting info about this on the net, some websites say any fluid less than 3mm in diameter is considered spinal canal not syrinx but it doesnt say if you have symptoms does that change? I have an appt with neuro in a couple weeks just trying to get some advice on this before I go.
    And is it possible for the slight bulge to cause the numbness at c7 instead of the canal/poss syrinx?

Thought I would post an enlarged pic as well

I just found out my spinal cord is full of excess SCF. My symptoms are weird from what my neuro said. My entire left arm was numb to temp and then went to feeling like it was in an ice bucket to shooting pains. Then my left side of my face started doing the same when my legs spazed. Your MRI looks a bit like mine, but not as bad. I have to get shunts in there now. I hope yours will go away. The only thing that helped me was a steriod shot.

From the limited pictures provided I would strongly favor syrinx... This is not truly midline, has asymmetric shape and is situated at a level c/w your sxs.... Size alone is not diagnostic (just predictive).... Do you have hx of trauma, radiation therapy, or any other risk factors for syringomyelia/cord atrophy?....

Do you have any C4-5 sxs? Disc appears to be pressing on cord at this level...

Your neurologist will be able to tell you better with detailed physical exam and probably EMG testing as well....

Good luck!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BriRi View Post
    From the limited pictures provided I would strongly favor syrinx... This is not truly midline, has asymmetric shape and is situated at a level c/w your sxs.... Size alone is not diagnostic (just predictive).... Do you have hx of trauma, radiation therapy, or any other risk factors for syringomyelia/cord atrophy?....

Do you have any C4-5 sxs? Disc appears to be pressing on cord at this level...

Your neurologist will be able to tell you better with detailed physical exam and probably EMG testing as well....

Good luck!!!!
    I agree. Something is present at your C6-C7 cord. It is bright, indicating that it is fluid filled. It appears to be continuous with your central canal (which is normally not so visible on sagittal sections and therefore may be enlarged >1 mm), which suggests a syringomyelic cyst.

The diameter at the widest part of the cyst appears to be wider than 2 mm. The anterior posterior spinal canal diameter ranges from 13-18 mm at C7. if yours is 15 mm, the width of your cyst is more like 5 mm. It is asymmetric, appearing to be enlarged ventrally just below the C6 vertebrae and tapers distally by the middle of C7. This is not a typical appearance of a syringomyelic cyst resulting from trauma.

You have ample CSF space around the spinal cord in the region and thus tethering or arachnoid adhesions don't appear to be present. I don't see any swelling that would suggest a tumor. Neither its position or shape is that of an arteriovenous malformation nidus or aneurysm.

The fact that you have some symptoms localized to C7 prominence is of interest. What kind of symptoms in the arms do you have?

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 06-03-2011 at 12:28 PM.

Thank you for responding to my post.

Here are my symptoms as of now:
    Tightness from the skull base to thoracic area
    Numbness from neck to rt shoulder covering upper back
    tingling into rt arm occasionally not much

This is such a scary thing. I have a 3 year old and I'm so worried I don't want to wind up in a wheelchair, if I can't find the cause how would I surgically try and reduce the syrinx? do these just get bigger and bigger? And over what period of time usually?

Sorry I have so many questions

And the only trauma I have had it two car accidents where I rear ended another car. 5+ years ago. I remember my neck being stiff but it went away.