Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tornado strikes hospital in Joplin Mo.

I also heard that this year the hurricane season will be big and bad. Let us hope those people are wrong.
    I have a theory, about the financial straw that will brake the back of the US. We will have so many disasters, in such scales, and densely populated areas that the financial cost will be just too enormous. People will have to go somewhere, live on something. If I was in charge I would redirect some war money for disaster relieve and resources riot/crime control, because poop will hit the fan.
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

My SCI is a result of a tornado which hit our campsite last summer. Everytime I see anything about tornados on the news, I cringe. My heart goes out to the people in the South, the folks in Joplin, Oklahoma and Minneapolis. Really, really a scary thing to go through.

I could only emagine, truly.

Quick question, are houses in that part of country built with basements? My mom says they aren't, and that's why there have been so many fatalities.

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    My SCI is a result of a tornado which hit our campsite last summer. Everytime I see anything about tornados on the news, I cringe. My heart goes out to the people in the South, the folks in Joplin, Oklahoma and Minneapolis. Really, really a scary thing to go through.
    I am very sorry to hear that.
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelman21 View Post
    Quick question, are houses in that part of country built with basements? My mom says they aren't, and that's why there have been so many fatalities.
    Basements are required in colder parts of the country (North and North East) because a foundation has to be below the frost line. They are not as popular in warmer climates simply because they are not necessary - some have storm shelters though.

we have quite a few, I'd say, around 40% have basement here in tn. but also the houses are so built up and the tree lines are took away to break up the wind is one of the reasons we see so many hurt and houses wiped out, when i was growing up, the subdivision was non existant......

It is horrible I feel sorry for all the victims
    Something freaky it is not common for so many to show up all over and just demolish everywhere .

The hospital ooooh my gosh how terrible .
    I am speechless as I havent been able to call my friends in Missouri and Oklahoma

Maybe tomorrow i'll be able to contact my friends in Missouri both he and his lovely Wife have really been on my mind .