Thread: Stealth Headrest Mounting Hardware Differences

Banned

Stealth Headrest Mounting Hardware Differences

I am trying to discern the difference between Stealth TWB480 ("Link w/quick release stem") and TWB485 ("Link w/multi-axis stem").

It appears to me as if the 480 is the same as the 485 (i.e. it is also a "multi-axis" stem); it simply has the additional feature of the quick-release (i.e. entire headrest assembly can be quickly removed from the chair).

Can anyone confirm (or elaborate)?

Thanks
    Last edited by Rob262; 05-22-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: clarify information desired

The TWB480 has a beefier mounting stem and bracket that is nearly impossible to bend. The TWB485 multi-axis hardware uses smaller square tubing, but has a greater range of adjustment--especially if one can not sit with their head at midline. The 485's square tubing will bend more easily, but has a lower profile which is less-likely to create clearance issues if there is a crossbar in the same area (especially if a reclining back is involved).

Banned
    Thank you SCI_OTR. I am assuming that either mounting system (480 or 485) will accomodate an occipital and sub-occipital headrest pad. Will additional hardware be needed to accomodate both pads?

Appreciate your help.

I swapped out the TWB485 hardware that originally came with the ASL Stealth sip-n-puff head array on this complex TDX SR for the TWB480 hardware shown in the pic...

The ASL Stealth sip-n-puff head array is based on Stealth's Ultra headrest (with occipital and suboccipital pads). ASL normally ships it with Stealth's TWB485 multi-axis hardware.

As you can guess, this headrest-mounted driving system weighs quite a bit. I was concerned that the square tubing used with the TWB485 hardware would easily bend the first time the headrest made contact with the doorway of a van or something behind the chair when it was tilted/reclined. Additionally, since placement of the proximity switches is critical and the switches themselves are very sensitive, even a little bit of flex in the assembly could have a big impact on efficiency. The TWB480 hardware is nearly indestructible and has almost no flex to it.

The end user of this chair could not position his head at midline, so the TWB480 bracket had to be offset to the left by 1.5" using Stealth's Offset Mounting Bracket. This pic shows how stout the TWB480 bracket really is. It also illustrates the potential clearance issue it can create when there is a crossbar between the back posts.

I hope these pics help illustrate how the TWB series hardware will work with the specific headrest you are considering. Good communication with your DME will be essential to ensure your wife gets the optimal combination for her needs.

Good luck.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 05-22-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Banned
    You have given me some food for thought, especially with re: to interference from the cross-bar (great pix). I will definitely spend some quality time talking to our DME. Meanwhile, I feel like I have a much better starting point for that conversation than I did before. Thank you for your thoughtful replies.

No problem.