Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autonomic Dysreflexia -- need help

Autonomic Dysreflexia -- need help

What causes someone with an SCI to have their blood pressure go too high then too low? It has been going on for a few days now. Is this a result of AD? If a person is taken to a hospital emergency room can they treat it there or does the person need to be admitted to the hospital? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    What causes someone with an SCI to have their blood pressure go too high then too low? It has been going on for a few days now. Is this a result of AD? If a person is taken to a hospital emergency room can they treat it there or does the person need to be admitted to the hospital? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
    Well I think that all depends on what causing the AD. Do go to the ER, and get checked out.
    Hope u feel better soon.
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

Thank you, macska. Her bladder was overextended two days ago but that has bin remedied. I have researched a lot about AD and it really scares me. I've talked to her about having atropine at her bedside but she hasn't done it yet. I am really scared for her.

Hi Darryl,
    She absolutely needs to have a autonomia kit either at the bedside or bathroom and in a purse or pack on her wheelchair. There are some threads on this website outlining what needs to be in the kit, including a medical alert card that describes autonomia, symptoms and what to do for it.
    Some people prefer a paste over pills. Search this site for complete information.

All the best,
    GJ

Thank you, gjnl.

Blog Entries
    I use nitropaste to subdue symptoms while we search for causes. If you go to an ER, and I would if you can't find an obvious problem, carry some info on AD with you . Not all ERs are familiar with the condition.

This might be helpful:

http://www.sci-info-pages.com/ad.html
    Last edited by TomRL; 05-22-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: dumb typos
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Quote Originally Posted by TomRL View Post
    I use nitropaste to subdue symptoms while we search for causes. If you go to an ER, and I would if you can't find an obvious problem, carry some info on AD with you . Not all ERs are familiar with the condition.

This might be helpful:

http://www.sci-info-pages.com/ad.html
    Thank you, TomRL. She's bin using a paste -- thanks. "Not all ERs are familiar with the condition." This is what I am afraid of. Thank you for the link, TomRL.

Blog Entries

What MD is going to write a script for nitro paste?

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Hi Darryl,
    She absolutely needs to have a autonomia kit either at the bedside or bathroom and in a purse or pack on her wheelchair. There are some threads on this website outlining what needs to be in the kit, including a medical alert card that describes autonomia, symptoms and what to do for it.
    Some people prefer a paste over pills. Search this site for complete information.

All the best,
    GJ
    When I was in Kessler rehab I was told that under no circumstances should a non medical professional be administering nitro paste. In fact, while I was interred there and experiencing AD at night, the resident had to be summoned just for my nurse (a rehab-trained nurse that was infinitely familiar with AD) to apply the paste, and record Bp readings every 3 mins. Post rehab, we were instructed to try our luck at the local ER.
    That was nine yrs ago.
    Was I mis-directed?

I gave our AD alert card (from Craig) to the doc at ER once and he looked at me like I was an idiot.