Thread: Severe pain Dr stoped pain meds

Severe pain Dr stoped pain meds

My Dr stoped my Norco 10/325 2 Every 4Hrs. I dont know why? Im still in sever back pain.Im going to see another dr on monday what do i say to get pain meds.The bad thing is daladid is the only thing that helps my pain.
    "Independent from the rest of the sheep"

dilaudid is an extreme pain med, and Is not recommended for long term use.
    fentanyl patch is also extremely potent, and is better for long term use. dlaudid is the only med that wipes out my pain, but the fentanyl is safer for long term use. I rarely feel a high from it, and have been using it for many years successfully. you do still have to go through withdrawal now and then to avoid moving to a higher dose, and may have to take something for breakthrough on patch changing day.

Quote Originally Posted by NEWPARA View Post
    My Dr stoped my Norco 10/325 2 Every 4Hrs. I dont know why? Im still in sever back pain.Im going to see another dr on monday what do i say to get pain meds.The bad thing is daladid is the only thing that helps my pain.
    What reason did he give for stopping your pain meds? How long have you been on Norco? What kind of pain do you have? Have you been getting drugs at the ER in addition to what your doctor has been prescribing you?

In response to "what do I say to get pain meds", you tell the doctor the truth. Describe your pain. Tell him/her what helps and what doesn't.

Nothing takes all my pain away. A combination of some medications helps me tolerate it.

Narcotics such as Norco do not work for certain types of pain which may be why your doctor stopped it.

I have never had a doctor stop a medication without giving me a reason.

Like Jody, I do not get high from the small amount of narcotic that I take but when I have pain it relieves my pain.

I have also been in the presence of people in a hospital setting who have requested drugs saying "this one and that one" did not work. Pain Management is under strict government regulation. Physicians face license revocation and numerous fines if they cannot justify that their patients "need" the drugs that they are prescribing. Their records are highly scrutinized. Physicans can tell if you appear "drug seeking". They will also possibly make you take a drug test and if you test positive for MJ or anything else they won't give you any narcotics.

If you have been getting drugs at the ER in addition to what your doctor has been prescibing, that is probably the reason he is not giving you anymore.

The medical records of Emergency Room are interfaced with Other hostpitals, Police Departments, Pharmacies, and Doctor's Offices in most places. This is especially true if it is Narcotics that is being dispensed. It is regulated. They can see exactly what we get and where....

I am not saying this is what you are doing but this kind of behavior by others make it hard for legitimate people in pain to get the drugs they need.

I wish you luck and I hope you find some relief. How is your housing situation?
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by NEWPARA View Post
    Hi NEWPARA,

I'd be more concerned about the amount of acetametaphine (Tylenol) that you're taking moreso than the hydrocodone. But I don't think you can get hydrocodone without acetametaphine. You're taking 3900mgs a day- everyday and the supposed safe limit is 4000mgs or 4 grams per day. If you have more than 3 alcoholic drinks a day that's another story.

Ask your new doctor about morphine or oxycodone if you're sure you want to take narcotics long term for pain. They are a bitch to get off of once you're on them!

Ideally you want to get on a slow release form of morphine or oxycodone along with instant release for break-through pain. The slow release form of oxycodone is OxyContin and there's really no generic form of it available so it's very expensive and most insurance won't/doesn't cover it without a bunch of hassle. And if you're on Medicare it may put you in the "donut hole" after 8 or so months depending on how much you take. Purdue, the company that makes OxyContin has their own generic which is only 25% cheaper than their name brand! When a true generic becomes available it should become much cheaper but it's caught up in the courts right now.

I would definitely cut the amount of acetametaphine that you are/were taking. That stuff will kill your liver. And the 4 grams that is suggested you can take everyday is suggested by the makers of it... can you trust Big Pharma? I don't think so.

Talking to a doctor about pain is a touchy subject. If you come across as knowing too much about drugs they may think you're shopping for it. If you don't say anything they may give you something that you already know isn't going to work. Good luck with that!

Aren't you withdrawaling from the Norco yet? Find a doctor before you do... it's a hellish experience.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

So how did your appointment go?
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

You can get oxycodone without Tylenol. You just need a script for plain Oxycodone without Tylenol, one brand is called OxyIR. Same with hydrocodone. You can get a script for plain hydrocodone without Tylenol. You may have to remind your doctor that that is what you need to avoid getting too much Tylenol. Your docs may just not know that it comes without it and need some 'gentle' reminding......

I was taking the norco for 2 years,the doctor never gave me a reason.I havent noticed any withdrawls yet. The dr. was a nuroligist I was told I need a PMR Dr.Physical medicine Rehabilitation dr.I recently tried oxycodone it seemed to help much better.
    "Independent from the rest of the sheep"