Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Questions

Stupid Questions

Do people ever ask stupid questions to you about your disability or life in general. I've had some questions that range from funny to simply bizarre!

Just today, one of my facebook friends (don't know him, just there for farmville) asked me, "can i ask you a personal question?" I was alarmed, but said yes, he said, "why do you use a wheelchair?"

I was like I mean, why does someone use a wheelchair? I just said, "Oh nothing, I am just too lazy to walk" and then he started apologizing. How stupid!

I get people I dont know telling my of their medical issues. just out of the blue someone will ask whats wrong with your legs? (nothing, I injured my spine) then they're off, and a few times they were very personal issues.

They always ask stupid question. Most of the time I try to be polite but sometimes I can't specially when they start to ask about my sexlife or tell me I am worthless and a burden of the socity.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I just dont understand the burden to society thing. You mean because you collect disability and dont work?

you are very important to this society bente. I think you have helped many by just being bente, and saying the good things that you do.

I havnt been asked do you feel anything down there, in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Life&Roll View Post
    ...Just today, one of my facebook friends (don't know him, just there for farmville) asked me, "can i ask you a personal question?" I was alarmed, but said yes, he said, "why do you use a wheelchair?"

I was like I mean, why does someone use a wheelchair? I just said, "Oh nothing, I am just too lazy to walk" and then he started apologizing. How stupid!
    His question wasn't stupid. It just seems to stem from curiosity. He did ask first, if he could ask you a personal question, probably thinking it might be something too personal to talk about. But you said yes, giving him permission to ask.

There are many reasons people use a wheelchair. He could have been asking why you used a w/c as an indirect way to ask about your condition. It might feel like a "safer" way to ask than asking "what's your disability" , or if you look "normal" they might be wondering about some medical condition. I guess it's a more innocuous way to ask than "what's wrong with you" or "what's your problem".

Having lived with a disability all your life, I'm surprised you'd be so alarmed. Your response to your FB friend seems more surprising to me than his question.

Well here are a few from a nurse during my hospital stay

I was situated next to an amputee, the duty nurse came in to help him dress, but on a sock and shoe, bent down under the bed and a couple of seconds later exclaimed but i'm sorry sir i can't find the other sock and shoe.

This happened to me
    The first few days at hospital were hell, nurses used to bath me and dress me. while they were dressing and turning me over to put on my pants one nurse said, can you please raise your legs so i can pull your pants up. can you fucking see i'm paralized

While explaining in detail my condition to a patient that i am a T11 complete being paralized from the waist down meaning i am incontinent and have no sexual function too this guy asked me well sir it looks dire but at least you can still have a good F***

In my hospital ward another guy next to me did not complain only when asleep. All day long he used to say how lazy, incompetent the nurses were. cursing them all day long
    One morning he woke up, the nurse told him did you sleep well, not actually i spent the night praying for you he said. i heard you ve got a big nursing exam tomorrow, well yes she said and gave him a big kiss on his forehead. What a hypocrite i said you are. No No he said i only wanted a kiss

Well the list goes on

I seriously think that all wheelchairs come with an invisible stupid/crazy person magnet. I try to be polite, but sometimes I get mad. The situation that takes the cake? I was in Costco and an employee was staring at me. People stare so I kept rolling and all of the sudden she says have you been in the chair long? I said yes, my whole life. She says oh, so you've never known any different. (insert sad tone here) My husband is in a chair. Then she was like, when you dream, can you walk? I started rolling away because I was uncomfortable and over my shoulder I said sometimes Then she was like oh the I bet you wish you wouldn't wake up. wtf? Like if I didn't wake up, I'd be dead.

how about " I have back problems too" Had a Nurse/Voc lady ask me about neuropathy-pain, said it was like a shock or spasm, she said she understood, she gets the same thing from all the diving she does.

Quote Originally Posted by Life&Roll View Post
    Just today, one of my facebook friends (don't know him, just there for farmville) asked me, "can i ask you a personal question?" I was alarmed, but said yes, he said, "why do you use a wheelchair?"
    Oh, I'd have loved to ask him, "Why do you play Farmville?"

I have a friend that always asks if I'm walking yet or ready to go back to work, after 4 years of me telling her I'll never walk again, but screw it she is a she and she does still call and ask how I'm doing.
    c3/c4, injured 2007