Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brown-Sequard Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by kelrod View Post
    Bioness has made a tremendous difference in my gait and confidence. I'm able to wear just about any kind of shoe with it.

As of last year, medicare will pay for the device, including many insurances since it has been proven/documented as a safe and reliable product.

A physical therapist or certified athletic trainer can assist you in the instructing you of the necessary muscle movement exercises. An example would be: My left leg is weaker than my right. I have had difficulty in the past bending my knee while walking. My PT and trainer work with me on developing a pattern of hip flexor, knee flexor and dorsiflexion working together to achieve foot clearance.

Gym exercises include:

20-30 minutes treadmill
    12 minutes arc trainer
    12 minutes elliptical
    6 sets of leg presses max out at 180 LBS (machine)
    4 sets of leg extensions max out at 70 LBS (machine)
    4 sets of Hamstring curls max out 50 LBS (machine)
    8 sets of Multi Hip max 40 LBS (machine)
    4 sets of Seated Press (chest) max 225 LBS (machine)
    4 sets of arm curls max out 70 LBS (machine)
    4 sets of toe raises for calves.
    Cool down includes stretching

I have not read Dr. Wise's blog

My injury level is T-6-7, and I'm (3) years post. I can walk with walker and KAFO for lift leg. I can walk without the KAFO but not for long distance I cannot stand without the KAFO for long time get tired easily. I have difficulty to bend my knee while walking. also I cannot bend my lift leg when I am in the bed. I cannot walk the stair I can walk for 300 ft I’m getting tired easily. I need your advice and your help what type of exercises I have to do to improve my walking and endurance.
    SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH

Congratulations, it's great you can walk with a walker and without a KAFO.

After reading your quote and giving it a lot of thought, it seems your physical endurance is a little low. Your foot, ankle, leg,quads and glute muscles need excercise and strengthening.

The best excercise I can think of is standing squats. You can do this exercise at home with the assistance of your walker if you need it. I would do as many as possible, take a break and repeat during the course of the day. Work toward not holding onto the walker.

The sit to stand excercise is also a great strength training excercise. Transfer to a erect sturdy chair and practice standing from a seated postion and repeat as many times as you can. Conduct a google search for the proper technique before attempting the excercise

Using your walker, walk out doors (park or local track) with a friend. Your friend can push the wheel chair behind you for sitting breaks.

Ask your Rehabilitation Doctor, PT, or Trainer to create a personal excercise schedule.

All the suggestions listed here are exercises I've done to increase strength and endurance.

Finally, the most important excercise that is key to everything are core exercises.

Conduct a google search for the best core strengthening exercises for you.

Looks like there is quite a few of us. Hopefully we can learn something from each other. I know I already did. It indeed is unique type on spinal core injury. One could say that we were lucky with our injuries considering only half of our spine was affected.

I was thinking maybe our unique cases can help researchers understand how axons are growing and connecting one side to another.

I would love to read from Dr. Wise about which possible cure would be the most beneficial for us. I know some of us are in such a good shape they wouldnt need one but for me ( and many others) I feel like it would be life changing. After reading post from gvinton I realized my injury was a lot more severe. I wasnt able to get out of my bed and walk for around 4 months when he could walk unassisted 6 weeks after the injury. Its truly amazing and inspiring. This proves that even though we all have Brown-Sequard Syndrome our injuries are still quite different. I think its the nature of SCI. There arent two identical injuries and it would be foolish to compare to each other. I realized that and I dont feel that I did something wrong or didnt work hard enough anymore. I did work my ass off for 5 years and I will keep working cause there is no reason to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by wadei View Post
    My injury level is T-6-7, and I'm (3) years post. I can walk with walker and KAFO for lift leg. I can walk without the KAFO but not for long distance I cannot stand without the KAFO for long time get tired easily. I have difficulty to bend my knee while walking. also I cannot bend my lift leg when I am in the bed. I cannot walk the stair I can walk for 300 ft I’m getting tired easily. I need your advice and your help what type of exercises I have to do to improve my walking and endurance.
    SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH
    I had difficulties bending my knee while walking as well when I was around 3 year post and my doctor gave me botox shots in my leg. Its usually used to deal with wrinkles but it sure helped me with my spasms. It wears off after some time but it gave me enough time to strengthen my muscles and I dont have this problem anymore. I'm not sure if it was due to me simply progressing and getting my leg muscle connections back but in my case the shots were very beneficial. That being said its a poison and please consult your doctor about it.

Quote Originally Posted by GL View Post
    Hi I have this unique syndrome but to me it is like someone shut off a switch in literally my whole left side of my body .

I've Been like this for a long time /even posted it in here
    ( prob News Forum) I forget but needless to say I just deal with my disability because if my Grandmother lived very long with a horrible stroke then I can do without more back / neck surgery unless I feel it is going to be beneficial .
    I could blame it on broken neck etc...
    But I know that I have bulging disks and had been through enough surgery . I think my nerves are pinched actually I know in my heart that they are . But I havent been to a Neurologist in years as who cares !!!
    Someday I may find a good one who understands me . This is not easy stuff for me to talk about but I love Exercise so this is one of my favorite forums .
    the way I put up with it for so long is as my Accountant Joe says ;
    I just tough it out . I am not a complainer .
    Sorry I repeated but Brown Sequard Syndrome is unique I never met another person in a wheelchair who has it .

Hopefully tomorrow i'll hit the gym I hope to at least .
    Great Topic

Sincerely; GL
    Hey

I can relate since I also could not find a Neurologist that could understand my situation. They were all very ignorant about it. In fact I figured out that I have Brown Sequard Syndrome myself by doing research on the internet. Sadly, I never heard from any doctor that I had this type of unique injury. I guess it didnt really matter but it would be nice to hear.

Anyway, seems like you have really extreme case of Brown Sequard Syndrome. I wish you best of luck with your exercises. I truly hope that maybe one day you can walk at least a little bit. =]

Quote Originally Posted by BSgimp View Post

I can relate since I also could not find a Neurologist that could understand my situation. They were all very ignorant about it. In fact I figured out that I have Brown Sequard Syndrome myself by doing research on the internet. Sadly, I never heard from any doctor that I had this type of unique injury.

Ditto. I'm also self diagnosed.

Over 20 + years ago ok exactly 1980 I took care of m grandmother who had a stroke and during my 4 year stint I took care of her & I learned a lot about how the loss of 1/2 body function
    She passed away and for some obscure reason a few years later .

Several years ago I had a freak motorcycle accident and it seems like now I am sort o in a similar situation .
    Although I did not have a blood clot stroke like her I can relate to what it is like to only use 1/2 of my body .
    For what it is worth I say this from my heart you all are very lovely , special

Thank you all; GL
    Last edited by GL; 05-23-2011 at 06:07 PM.

hi everyone,

i'm c5-7 incomplete and have BS syndrome. i too self-diagnosed about 3yrs after my "event" i call it an event because my paralysis stems fron an infection that started at C4 and spread to t2 inside my cord.

my left side is much stronger than my right. i have absolutely no hip flexors on my right leg but i wear an afo and mostly walk with a walker. i would lovew to use a cane or crutches but that would limit wwhat i could carry. my balance is not very good.

i'm nearly 59yo and i am pretty content with my abilities however i would like to develop some core strength because that would improve my balance.

Well I'm in a chair,and I have it...C2-C3 incomplete,right side partial paralysis,not able to use hand.My left side I can't feel hot,cold,or pain.The Dr.s always ask,do you have burning,tingling and I say stop right there,just put check mark in every box.I can stand up and move easily,but walking is too terrifying.when I fall I fall like a tree.I don't want to break neck again,I would rather die than go through that again( 4 months in hospital )it was torture.I will post my experience in a thread soon I hope.
    Gunnslinger8 We are rare.
    Last edited by Gunnslinger8; 07-30-2011 at 03:45 PM.

C 5-6 BS here, for 11 yrs. Was told I'd never walk again. After my laminectomy surgery, the Dr. said "What you can move 24 hrs. from now is what you'll have to work with." I'll never forget the look on her face, when at 24 hrs I said "I can move my big toe on my left leg."

She said "Spasms." She literally jumped when I told her to watch, and showed her my big accomplishment.

Did standard rehab, but lucked into an experiment at the Houston VA. They needed incomplete injuries to test out the muscle memory theory, suspending me over a treadmill w/ a PT at each foot, yelling "Kick, Beth, kick!".

Most BS ppl have to work their guts out, walking doesn't come easy imo. YMMV. I never could walk totally unassisted, had to be touching at least a wall, I think b/c of proprieception. My left fingers tell my body where I am in space, or something. W/o them, like Gunns, I go down like a log.

I'm a wheeler now that can walk a few steps, get in the tub, and my van etc. I got an autoimmune disease called Graves that acts up under stress. The body perceives extreme exercise as stress, so I have to watch it. Fighting the sci was actually easier for me, b/c by nature I'm a stubborn mule and a fighter. This weird disease that calls for me to chill is much harder for me to cope with.

I can still scuba dive, darn it, and ride a 4-wheeler. Just haven't had the opportunity lately.

Really, for me the chair is pretty low on my list of aggravations. I'm small, my chair was built for a 10 yr old, so I can get through doors.