Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We're pregnant! Do I need heparin injections?

We're pregnant! Do I need heparin injections?

Hi All! The hubby and I just found out we are pregnant with our first baby. I'm a T7 para and my OB wants me on injections of heparin to avoid blood clots. I have never had any problems with blood clots before or after my injury and I have no family history of blood clots either.

How many of you were on preventative injections of heparin during your pregnancy? Does current research support twice daily injections of heparin as a preventative measure for SCI patients with no history of blood clots and no family history of blood clots?

I live in rural western Kansas and my OB is comfortable handling my pregnancy but does not deal with SCI patients on a regular basis. If preventative heparin shots are no longer supported by SCI doctors I would like to show him the research.

I hate needles and givings shots. Every time I inject myself my blood pressure spikes and I have differed pain across my side along with nausea. The nausea is not the same as any morning sickness I've had and I'm not sure the potential benefit from the heparin outweighs the problems it seems to cause.

Thanks for any advice,
    Kristi
    Last edited by 68cougar; 05-20-2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: I hit enter before I was done typing and editing. oops!
    T7 MVA 9/12/04

Life is just a collection of memories. - C.W. McCall Aurora Borealis

pooper!

Do you have a history of DVT? Generally we do not do this for women with SCI who are pregnant, although both pregnancy and SCI put you at risk. I would want to discuss with him the pros and cons of this related to possible excessive bleeding (either uterine or otherwise) during your pregnancy. You will need regular blood tests to be sure that the dosage is right and kept in the safe range. If bleeding should occur, it will need to be stopped and other medications used to reverse its effects.

(KLD)

I wasn't on it for either of my pregnancies.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Would a vein filter be a better option?
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Thanks for the quick replies! I had to edit the post because I posted it prematurely, so there is some additional information that may not have been read. Opps!
    T7 MVA 9/12/04

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Do you have a history of DVT? (KLD)
    KLD,
    No I do not have any history of DVT. Can you recommend any resouces that would be good for me to read up on the pros and cons of preventative heprin?
    Thanks for your help, Kristi
    T7 MVA 9/12/04

Smile

Congrats!
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

OMGoodness! Congratulations!!!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

try some TEDs while your preg. should help bloodflow without thinners maybe....oh, grats, make him healthy, wealthy and wise!