Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Breaking News: Paralyzed Man Stands, Moves With Epidural Stimulation

Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post
    Come on people......this is amazing news. No its not the cure but it is a huge breakthrough, one that so many of us have prayed for. God is so good!

The video says this man got bowel/bladder and sexual function back. Lets celebrate that!
    What video says he got bladder/bowel and sexual function back??
    Donnie: Dr. Xiao, What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
    CG Xiao: Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years. Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has dedicated and contributed to SCI no other can match.

dr cg xiao is a criminal in China.

Something similiar to this was accomplished several years ago. An eletrode has surgically implanted next a persons spinal cord. After 6 months of treadmill training he could "walk" when a current was impressed through the electrode.

It was an unnatural, Frankenstein like walk that was not really practical for covering any real distance. This sounds like the same thing.

BTW, how is this going to help a quad in any meaningful way?

this is the video that says he got sexual function back...

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...ag=mncol;lst;3

I think this does get the word out that paralysis affects more people than most know about. I dont think stem cells alone will work without some sort of technology to accompany it. Why not celebrate a paralyzed man getting movement back. Small gains and one brick at a time. Of course we all know that if we had more attention and unlimited funding without any FDA rules or propaganda we would be so far advanced. However, social and economics conditions dictate movement on research and a cure. Sometimes I dont think the World is ready for one even though we are!

Patient was ASIA B. Technically cant be attributed to the stimulator and might have come back w/ intensive therapy alone..
    Donnie: Dr. Xiao, What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
    CG Xiao: Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years. Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has dedicated and contributed to SCI no other can match.

i still g
    havent had a chance to catch up on this articke, but reading a couple comments here, do make sence, i am not looking at the b&b and sexual function yet, however i know for a bladdet that retains urine , there is a electronic stim device that contracts the muscle so it will empty, i was told about that as a possible treatment option in 2001.
    This sounds a lot like the e stim-bikes that, same thing i would think, except your wiring right to the nerves, plus you would need a super microcomputer to get usable function. other wise you would be flaying around knocking everything over falling, ni rhythm. however if he got wood, and it was really the forst time he got wood, that wood mean alot. i am sure the ame as the bladder can be wired to peem the bowels could be wired for peristalsis, however , letting the body control things naturally would be the least problems. The woody maker would be great through, but i aways though that was below l1. i have lower motor neuron so this type of treatment doesnt work on me. UNless hopfully as susan poon and i had hoped for years ago, a much stronger nmes , that wouldnt burn holes in your skin.
    when they put the scs in me from the caudal side, the wire hit the motor nerves and i was twitching like a ell out of water, however those muscles already worked and i was out for pain releif, which failed
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    i still g
    havent had a chance to catch up on this articke, but reading a couple comments here, do make sence, i am not looking at the b&b and sexual function yet, however i know for a bladdet that retains urine , there is a electronic stim device that contracts the muscle so it will empty, i was told about that as a possible treatment option in 2001.
    This sounds a lot like the e stim-bikes that, same thing i would think, except your wiring right to the nerves, plus you would need a super microcomputer to get usable function. other wise you would be flaying around knocking everything over falling, ni rhythm. however if he got wood, and it was really the forst time he got wood, that wood mean alot. i am sure the ame as the bladder can be wired to peem the bowels could be wired for peristalsis, however , letting the body control things naturally would be the least problems. The woody maker would be great through, but i aways though that was below l1. i have lower motor neuron so this type of treatment doesnt work on me. UNless hopfully as susan poon and i had hoped for years ago, a much stronger nmes , that wouldnt burn holes in your skin.
    when they put the scs in me from the caudal side, the wire hit the motor nerves and i was twitching like a ell out of water, however those muscles already worked and i was out for pain releif, which failed
    The VoCare for bladder is no longer available in the US. This procedure is different than e-stim bikes and VoCare. The stimulator is on the dura, not the nerves.

Please read the article, it is well written. I have the entire text of the Lancet article. They were thorough in demonstrating that the recovery came from the epi-stim.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    Patient was ASIA B. Technically cant be attributed to the stimulator and might have come back w/ intensive therapy alone..
    They demonstrate intensive theraphy with NO results. ASIA B is for sensory only, the patient had NO motor activity.
    Every day I wake up is a good one