Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Breaking News: Paralyzed Man Stands, Moves With Epidural Stimulation

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    This time last year that list of human trials was non-existant - especially for chronic SCI. So that is progress, is it not? None of these trials have completed as of yet so it would be unfair to "bag" them just now. And if they do fail it will at least be a lesson learned for the field.

If in another 12 months the same number of trials get underway then it will have been quite an achievement dont you think?

Of course it is not fast enough but there has been quite a shift recently in the approach to translating science to the clinic. What we are seeing is American biotechs beginning to look to run trials outside of the US (Stem Cells Inc - Switzerland, NeuralStem - Czech Republic) and collaboration beginning to happen between biotechs and universities (Invivo Therapeutics and University of Miami ). These kinds of examples of openess and lateral thinking can only be good for the field. We can only encourage more of this.

With regards to this epi-stim "breakthrough" - ask yourself why the scientists in the field havent been jumping up and down with excitement about this.

I agree that is progress. And those are all things I've felt should have been done years ago. Why they believed trials had to be held in this over priced over regulated country I'll never know.

lets see how high they jump when there trials are over. its a process either way you look at it. you can discredit it all you want but if a cns trial produced the same result u'd run out and buy a new bike and jogging pants.. but I'd bet you no trial is gonna produce some magic bullet cure that wont have to be perfected just as this epi-stim has to be...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    I agree that is progress. And those are all things I've felt should have been done years ago. Why they believed trials had to be held in this over priced over regulated country I'll never know.

lets see how high they jump when there trials are over. its a process either way you look at it. you can discredit it all you want but if a cns trial produced the same result u'd run out and buy a new bike and jogging pants.. but I'd bet you no trial is gonna produce some magic bullet cure that wont have to be perfected just as this epi-stim has to be...
    I agree that there will be no magic bullet. First and second generation cures will be aimed at making completes incomplete and incompletes more incomplete. Not perfect by any means but a step in the right direction.

As for the epi-stim - well, if we're taking bets, I bet that the epi-stim (even if improved drastically) wont be rolled out as a therapy to the general SCI public

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    I agree that there will be no magic bullet. First and second generation cures will be aimed at making completes incomplete and incompletes more incomplete. Not perfect by any means but a step in the right direction.

As for the epi-stim - well, if we're taking bets, I bet that the epi-stim (even if improved drastically) wont be rolled out as a therapy to the general SCI public
    I bet if improved it will be an option as it should be...

I mean bowel and bladder alone is enough to get people interested, if the claims are true anyway...