Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We Win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Are you sure? Could you please explain more in detail why you think so?
    Leif,

at first my response was EXACTLY the same as yours. I was surprised that Balgrist/Stem Cells Inc would even consider someone from the US. I agree with most of what you have said.

But, the reality is, that Balgrist/Stem Cells Inc have opened their doors to a US-based participant and therefore for Martinez to miss out based on frustrating red-tape would be a shame.

So I congratulate Dennis for helping Martinez at least clear the hurdle of the red-tape.

If we want to start a debate about whether a US-based participant should be selected for a trial in Switzerland then by all means let's start another thread. FYI, I would probably agree with your opinion on that

Fly Pelican Fly

It is also worth noting that Stem Cells Inc are a biotech and will want to run this trial as fast as possible. As we know that the burn-rate of cash at a biotech is crucial and of course time is money. This may have an impact on screening and selection of patients.

Poor Leif - The glass i always half empty I guess?

- Although you have valid points, couldn't you try to see the positive aspects here - instead of trying so hard to focus on the troublesome part of it?

Smile dammit - the world ends in a couple of hours anyways..
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Dennis, -pushing for a specific candidate/subject like this person (driven by passion by you), in this case a South American, with immigration issues in the US, for joining a European clinical trial, -is that smart? Good thing by you to try to help, but given the follow-up requirements, the long term monitoring etc etc, - wouldn’t you think this case/subject/candidate is a prime candidate for a drop-out candidate of such studies? And that don’t help much on anything. Keep in mind clinical trials are studies for proof of concepts for possible treatments, not treatments… Could you please shed some views on that? For instance if a trial over here, where I live, candidates like in this case most likely would not be accepted, or to say not accepted, in studies (clinical trials).
    Leif don't worry they will not accept the guy if he can't follow with rigour the protocol of the clinical trial.
    BTW I think Norway should consider this clinical trial for the future... if the phase I/II goes well,or at least watch it closely, there will be a lot to learn from it. I am sure.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Dennis, -pushing for a specific candidate/subject like this person (driven by passion by you), in this case a South American, with immigration issues in the US, for joining a European clinical trial, -is that smart? Good thing by you to try to help, but given the follow-up requirements, the long term monitoring etc etc, - wouldn’t you think this case/subject/candidate is a prime candidate for a drop-out candidate of such studies? And that don’t help much on anything. Keep in mind clinical trials are studies for proof of concepts for possible treatments, not treatments… Could you please shed some views on that? For instance if a trial over here, where I live, candidates like in this case most likely would not be accepted, or to say not accepted, in studies (clinical trials).
    Leif,
    Usually I write a response to you and then I delete it. This time, I want to answer you thoughtfully with respect. You make very good points, and therefore, with full respect for your opinions, I wish to answer you.

1. Immigration: whether they should or shouldn't accept people from across the world or not is irrelevant, they are.
    He doesn't have an immigration problem per se. It's not like he's an illegal immigrant. We have demanded that his green card hearing is moved up, and they have agreed, once he gets his green card, he can come and go as he pleases. If he doesn't get the green card, he can't go. It's that simple. We didn't ask for some special privilege, it's just a green card, and I hope you can understand this immigration procedure.

2. Will it hinder the research if he doesn't go? In my opinion it will slow it down. Why?
    Geron is doing ten, if I remember correctly, and they've only gotten two. Yes, of course this is for acutes, so it's more difficult, but even Wise has complained that the number of good candidates for his own study has slowed down the work. Stemcells Inc. study is for 12 people and they have chosen Martinez very carefully. If they don't do him, they have to search for someone else. If he doesn't go, that search will put the end results off because they will complete the study later rather than earlier, and they will definitely not release the study information and go to the next phase until they do all 12. I think that it's very telling that even though the trial was announced many months ago, they are still looking for candidates. It's not easy to find 12 because they want the perfect specimens which he must be if they are inviting him.

3. The idea that it's a study not a therapy is also important.
    A. I didn't make any claims that he is going to be cured. In all my stuff I've been clear to say it's for a trial. But it is a study to cure paralysis. Not that I think the neural cells will be enough, but it will tell us if the neural cells are part of the puzzle, and what I've read, it probably is.

B. On a basic humanitarian level it is also important that he goes. He's been selected and he's probably been told that this will not cure him. Imagine missing a chance like this in the short term. Yes, it's primarily a safety study, but because it's being tried on people with sci, they will also do some efficacy studies. If it were me and they called me to participate, I'd leave tomorrow morning and would be furious if for some reason I missed this opportunity.

4. Finally, because he is part of our community, the paralyzed, isn't it right that we support him. People have decided that they do not want to sit on the sidelines and let government decide, people have said that they wish to participate. This time it was against immigration, next time it may be raising their voices to the FDA to get clinical trials done. Learning to raise our voices together is an important part. I have said it a thousand times; I have never feared that the science cannot cure us, my fear is that without our voices science will be delayed and even if there is a cure, we will not benefit from it.

Leif, I do not wish to fight with you over this. You have given so much and can give so much more, I want your insight and experience for a cure, not to battle against you. The paralysis community did a good thing in giving this guy a chance. We learned to raise our voices together. This is an excellent thing.

I want to have more communication with you. You may look at my post and say it's crap, for very good reasons, but I hope that you answer me in terms of educating me as opposed to fighting me. I wish to be educated by someone with all your experience.

Looking at your introduction, in the members post, you and I have a lot more in common than differences.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

I just got notice from Michael Martinez's doctor that his green card was issued.
    He is now free to travel to Switzerland and since he has his green card he can go in and out of the US as he pleases.
    Dennis Tesolat

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

Am I drunk or were there a bunch of other posts here by Leif? I didn't have a chance to read them properly but I wanted to answer if they warranted an answer.
    Dennis Tesolat

Martin Luther King

Michael Martinez and his family have sent a letter of thanks to all of you who sent off emails.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Dear friends:

I want to thank you for your support and help in my moment of need. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you've done for me. I came to this country with a work visa (P1). My visa was in the renewal process but I had my accident and the StemCells surgery is not done in the US.

I had been well informed by the doctor at the racetrack, David Seftel, about this surgery, but I wouldn't have had the chance to go there and return to the States because of my visa issue.

Thanks to friends like Dennis Tesolat who got my story out to all of you, I really don't know how to thank you for your emotional support. God is great and I know he doesn't forget his sons therefore I've never lost my faith. I also thank God for having in this world people like you that have given me this great support and I thank the immigration for approving my green card. With tears in my eyes I thank you all and our lord. Blessings to you and your families.

Michael Martinez and family.

In Spanish at http://celulasmadreybombasatomicas.b...e-michael.html

In Italian at http://cellulestaminaliebombeatomich...i-michael.html
    Dennis Tesolat

Martin Luther King