Thread: New MRI's from VA-can anyone opine? Narrative included at bottom.

New MRI's from VA-can anyone opine? Narrative included at bottom.

I fell several feet with a rucksack on in the Army in 2001 and ruptured my l5-S1 during a field exercise. It was a month before I got an MRI (in AIT) and by that time Id been feeling numbness in my toes and they had started talking about an MEB/PEB.

Fast forward to now, after discharge in 2002. Im rated 40% disabled for my L5-S1 herniation by the VA and 10% in 1 leg (rt) for radiculopathy. I am also service connected for ED because of parasympathetic nerve impingement.I've been complaining for years about my left leg radiating pain/tingles, etc, and Ive been denied service connection for it, despite connection for the other extremity, on the basis of "no clinical demonstration of radiculopathy in my left extremity". Im appealing again, maybe, based on this MRI.

My old MRI from 8 years ago says" “MRI of the lumber spine demonstrations significant degenerative disc disease at L5-S1. There is a right para central herniated nucleus pulposus that extend inferior behind the bodyof S1 with some displacement of the right S1 nerve root”"

So, I got a new MRI last week from the VA and, while I havent seen the NarSumm yet, it *looks* to me like the disc above l5-s1 is ruptured (or something) now as well. Am I looking at this correctly? I've included 1 Sagittal image. I have the axials, but I the digital images I have on the disc are all layered and I don't now how to read the axial images yet.

L 3-4 (I think)
    Is this one pushing out the other direction (towards the front)?

Here are the two that worry me, well, the higher one. The lower one I knew about already and have been dealing with for years.
    L4-5 and L5-S1

Here is a shot from my old films (actual films, not digital images-wow) in 2001
    Last edited by Broken_Soldier244th; 05-19-2011 at 12:11 PM.

You should of course discuss the results with the physician or other provider who ordered the MRI. It is impossible to make a diagnosis via internet, or from films alone (without an accompanying physical exam and extensive history taking). I will see if Dr. Young has the time to comment at all.

(KLD)

Thank you KLD.

I got back the impression narrative today-Originally (8 years ago) I had a herniated L5-S1 from a fall. This is the only MRI since then. I got the MRI to hopefully shed light on radicular leg pain, bilaterally. I'm already service connected for right leg radicular pain.

What is Central Stenosis
    Anteriorly bulged disc means towards the front, right?
    dessicated means dehydrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Broken_Soldier244th View Post
    Thank you KLD.

I got back the impression narrative today-Originally (8 years ago) I had a herniated L5-S1 from a fall. This is the only MRI since then. I got the MRI to hopefully shed light on radicular leg pain, bilaterally. I'm already service connected for right leg radicular pain.

What is Central Stenosis
    Anteriorly bulged disc means towards the front, right?
    dessicated means dehydrated?

• The radiologist said "central spinal stenosis" (not central stenosis) which means narrowing of spinal canal.

• Yes, anterior bulge means towards the front.

• Dessicate means dehydrated or low water signal (i.e. darker).

Wise.

Could any of these cause buttocks and leg pain bilaterally?

It is chronic since the onset fall 8 years ago, and I have measurable radiculopathy in my right buttocks and leg that is considered service connected by the VA. My left buttock and leg, however is not rated.

Thank you Dr. Young. The VA did the image, but all I have are the notes above-there is no consult with neurology that was recommended by my PCP or VA-im kind of flying blind a bit here.