Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can a caregiver help me or am I being weak?

I keep hearing from friends about the Dyson vacuum cleaner. Is it self-propelled? I know they make a wireless version. Probably expensive as hell, though.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

You can get a handheld shower that attaches to your regular shower outlet. No need to contact the landlord for permission in most cases. Simply twist off the existing shower head and put the handheld on in its place. They even come with a bracket to hold the handheld at regular height so other people don't have to adjust. don't get one of those that just push onto the tub faucet. They suck.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRing View Post
    Never really thought about splitting things up- it's just never how I had done it.
    And in my kitchen, stuff is REALLY split up .... I have a very small kitchen to start with, so space is at a consideration. At one point I have 4 plates, 4 bowls, 4 mugs and a bunch of cups on the lowest shelf of my cabinet. Then the rest of the stuff, which I would only need if we had company, up on the higher shelves.

Groceries are split .... I have a nice lazy susan system in the corner of my kitchen cabinet. It holds most of the stuff I need, but I pretty much only have one of anything .... then of things I use often (say tomato sauce) a couple more cans on the top shelf, where someone could easily grab it for me, then if there wasn't more room there, there might be a couple more in the "pantry" space in the basement. Baking pans are in 2 places .... the ones I use often on a low shelf, and others, like the heart pan I use for my daughters birthday, and the pie pans I only use at thanksgiving (since I never make 2 pies at a time any other time) are on a high shelf.

It makes it a bit like a treasure hunt when my grown kids come to visit, and try to cook .... they have top think where something would be. (But my husband has no problem .... as long as he can find the peanut butter, he is happy if I am happy .... so I bet yours won;t care where you put things either.)

Oh, and skippy is right, the nozzle I was thinking of DID hitch to the shower part not the tub part. I had it when my kids were small for shampoos.

What I REALLY want is two shower heads, one to spray on my back, while I use the other one to wash everything else. THEN I will be warm.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

funny sjean.

roombas are bad if you have a pet that has accidents. the roomba doesnt know it just ran through a fresh pile of poo, and if it does happen like it did to my neighbor once, you realise that thing covers a lot of erratic ground all over the house before it goes back to its bed to recharge. I mean poo all over that house. good thing it doesn't do stairs.

for the shower head, it just screws on, after unscrewing the shower head that is on it. you just switch em back when you move.
    Last edited by jody; 05-19-2011 at 02:04 AM.

I think you mentioned your new apt would still have some stairs, would it be possible to find a completely accessible apt? Do you have an Independent Living Center somewhere nearby where you could possibly learn about some accessible options? Also, they may know about community agencies which could provide some housekeeping services, some pca care if needed. Always remember, no 2 disabilities are alike, don't compare yourself to others as to whether you should be doing this or that independently - your body will tell you what it can or can't do, but what you can't do right now may be possible in 6 months if you work on your stamina and strength. Use assistive technology like the right shower chair, shower head, etc. This stuff makes evertthing easier and here (CC) is the best place to learn about what's out there.

Last night I decided I would do all my floors in the condo this morning ... still trying to talk myself into it ... but it will get done. Got my new steam mop <-- happy. lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

What did you decide to do Bluering? I hope you decide to at least have someone help a little.

I did my floors the next day and because I've been so sedentary while waiting for the hysto, it took me twice as long (almost 4hrs!!!) and I'm sore for the first time but I did it ... a day late.

I was distracted yesterday by the nice weather so I went outside and swept my concrete tiny patio, straightened up a bit and then sat there with the cats. The sun sure exhausted me though and I slept really well and deeply for the first time in a long time last night.

(Trying to motivate you or should I just STFU? lol)

Hopefully you get a more accessible place.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    funny sjean.

roombas are bad if you have a pet that has accidents. the roomba doesnt know it just ran through a fresh pile of poo, and if it does happen like it did to my neighbor once, you realise that thing covers a lot of erratic ground all over the house before it goes back to its bed to recharge. I mean poo all over that house. good thing it doesn't do stairs.

for the shower head, it just screws on, after unscrewing the shower head that is on it. you just switch em back when you move.

You are starting to compete with Mr Coffee for shit stories LOL

I love it but I could not imagine it!!!!
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Bluering

You need to eliminate the stairs and steps if at all possible.

I understand about frustration with piles. I have been downsizing the last few months. I have been getting rid of stuff because I have to live in a smaller space. I too have gotten rid of books and had a yardsale. I have kept the stuff that means something to me. I got rid of all the tables and junk collectors. I used to collect picture frames. I took all the pictures out and sold them in my yardsale and what I didn't sell...I gave away. It frees the mind to know you don't have to take care of so much stuff anymore. I have books that I don't want to get rid of.

I think we get sentimental and think we have to keep everything.

Now that you are moving...go through and get rid of most stuff if you have not used it within the last 6 months. I got rid of lots of clothes even though I probably could wear them...I just got tired of having an overstuffed closet. I gave to my girlfriend and her family.

I have also stopped buying stuff.

Another thing I used to do that may help you is when mopped I would use an office chair with wheels... I know stamina/falls is your biggest problem. I never had a wheelchair except a loner for surgery. I used that office chair for all kinds of things. I put my laundry basket on it and transported laundry back n forth between rooms. I took my daughter for rides around the house in it...she was a little tike. If something needed to get from one room to the other, I used that chair. LOL

If all else fails...hire someone to do your mopping/vacumming for you. There is no shame in that.

I would encourage you to workout and get excercise though...if you don't use it you will lose it. We have all been through periods when we have to build our strength back up because we have had illness. I would do as much as I can for as long as I can.

I also want to add that the more you don't do the quicker you are going to fatigue...you know the old saying "no pain no gain". The less I do the more I hurt some days and the more I lay around the more fatigue I have. I didn't read your first post before replying to this. I worry you may be depressed about your situation. I have never went more than two days without a shower unless hospitalized and I shower daily. Have you spoken to your doctor regarding this?

Good luck and hope the new apartment works out...I could not imagine living on the third floor and doing stairs everyday.
    Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 05-21-2011 at 06:24 PM.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown