Thread: VMI Van Conversion Parts

VMI Van Conversion Parts

I have a 2002 VMI Dodge Caravan conversion with the VMI power door opener. This door motor has been a constant problem but since I had an extended warranty I did not feel the repair cost pain. Now my warranty is expired and I need a VMI door motor/clutch replacement. I have a friend in automotive repair who has pulled and replaced the door motor without a problem. When I try to purchase the parts from VMI they tell me I need to be a VMI dealer. When I go to a local dealer for the parts they charge full retail ($1500+ parts alone - expensive!) for the replacement door motor. Any body out there have any luck getting parts a bit closer to wholesale cost?
    Iā€™m looking for pricing on Clutch/motor ā€“ part# CA3019
    And clutch alone ā€“ part# EL1109
    Any other ideas on how I can solve this problem for a bit less out of pocket? Buying motor directly from supplier? Clutch? Any advice and help is appreciated. Thanks!

I did a brief search using the part #'s you listed but didn't find anything, most parts on those conversions are off the shelf from a supplier. If you can find alternative model #'s you might find replacement through http://www.mouser.com/ or http://www.mcmaster.com/#.

I agree with CC above. Components are purchased off the shelf by these companies. If you can look at the part, there should be a part number and/or manufaturer name either stamped into or screen printed on the part. Google that and it should get you on track.

Vmi

VMI(Braun) vans are exceptionally frustrating. The dealers are slow to respond, parts if you can get them are unreliable. I have a 2000 Chrysler Voyager. The door assembly you speak of is made of a ford window motor, mid to late 90's. You can get them at auto store for less than $100. The difference in motor models is gear teeth size and number. Take yours to shop and compare them. Next I couldn't find clutch to save me. Then I stumbled on a form here that talked about the clutch. It is made of high molecular weight poly-urethane (spelling?), stuff cutting boards are made of. Here's catch you need to know thickness. Call on clutch and find thickness.(1/16?) Too thick and electromagnetic slips, thin and it will not disengage. I found some at local plastics engineering firm. Sample as free. I give you some if you were in Phx.
    Good luck! Don't let them rip you off!

Quote Originally Posted by FightNgoodFight View Post
    VMI(Braun) vans are exceptionally frustrating. The dealers are slow to respond, parts if you can get them are unreliable. I have a 2000 Chrysler Voyager. The door assembly you speak of is made of a ford window motor, mid to late 90's. You can get them at auto store for less than $100. The difference in motor models is gear teeth size and number. Take yours to shop and compare them. Next I couldn't find clutch to save me. Then I stumbled on a form here that talked about the clutch. It is made of high molecular weight poly-urethane (spelling?), stuff cutting boards are made of. Here's catch you need to know thickness. Call on clutch and find thickness.(1/16?) Too thick and electromagnetic slips, thin and it will not disengage. I found some at local plastics engineering firm. Sample as free. I give you some if you were in Phx.
    Good luck! Don't let them rip you off!
    I can understand how having to deal with mobility dealers that are slow to respond to you needs can be frustrating. I've been doing this for close to 25 years and don't think iv'e run into ANY parts that weren't available from Braun or VMI. I know first hand that they both go to great extremes to always have parts available.

Iv'e been amazed by some of the obscure parts they still stock. Just last week we needed a emergency release cable for a mobility van ramp from the 90's and sure enough 3 days later we had the part in hand (and installed it the same day)

imho: Todays mobility vans are the best they've ever been.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

REF:VMI // Kersey Mobility
    I've Tried to find parts for our VMI built wheelchair van in the past w/o success / Do not know why I'm looking again / Last time it was for a broken braided 5/32" ss cable that had jumped the guides and the door would not close / found the cable online for around $ 18.00 for a 25' spool of it / would only need about 9 or 10 feet of it / not knowing the directions the cable ran thru the guides and not able to find a picture of it thru VMI , had to take it to a factory represented shop to get it routed correctly - they would not show me where the cable was to be ran so after taking 10 days to get an appointment and cutting the cable so I could shut the door I took it up and got it fixed (We had to cancel and reschedule 5 doctor appts.)
    Anyway - watching thru the window I then had to wait 6 hrs for them to even get started on it and the actual time spent working on it was less than 45 mins ! The bill was around $700.00 and they didn't even use the cable I brought to them !! I was really pi$$ed and still am - I presented my observations and asked why they did not use the cable I brought -
    Answer was we only charged you for 3 hrs labor and the mechanic must not have got the word or did not see the cable in the van ( It was laying on the floor of the van where he had to move it to string in the new one !!) HUH !! No - What you have is (Unfortunately) a captive audience that is pretty much stuck between a rock and a hard place that you can bleed for all you want ----
    - This time suddenly our Power kneel system went "poof" and developed a leak that bleeds down so rapidly the air compressor can't quite keep up and I simply need info on (worst case) which air bags to buy and/or what size air line and fittings to buy. This I can fix it myself !! The whole kits are around $ 250.00 online and probably $2250.00 thru VMI/ Kersey Mobility !
    NOTE : VMI has no info like this online and our closest rip-off factory represented shop is Kersey Mobility in Sumner Washington - 60 miles away ! If you can help it DO NOT GO THERE !

KDS