Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My van is rusting

Blog Entries

Post My van is rusting

Okay, it's not the world's biggest problem, but it bugs me that my 2005 Dodge Caravan has enough rust in both rear wheel wells that it is bubbling the paint inside on the door frame. I barely have 30,000 miles on the thing. I guess I'll just get out the tape when the holes show. Part of it is the winter weather around here. Are any other makes any better? Theoretical question because I doubt I'll be able to replace this one without some help from the lottery.

Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Quote Originally Posted by TomRL View Post
    Okay, it's not the world's biggest problem, but it bugs me that my 2005 Dodge Caravan has enough rust in both rear wheel wells that it is bubbling the paint inside on the door frame. I barely have 30,000 miles on the thing. I guess I'll just get out the tape when the holes show. Part of it is the winter weather around here. Are any other makes any better? Theoretical question because I doubt I'll be able to replace this one without some help from the lottery.

Take it to a body shop and have them cut the rust out and weld in new metal then grind and paint it like new. Some good thick undercoating couldn't hurt, I moved to this dry climate and have not seen a rusty car yet. When I lived back in Chicago I had to have my rust fixed every other year it just has to be done back there.
    ^^(A)^^

That would bug me too Tom.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    Take it to a body shop and have them cut the rust out and weld in new metal then grind and paint it like new. Some good thick undercoating couldn't hurt, I moved to this dry climate and have not seen a rusty car yet. When I lived back in Chicago I had to have my rust fixed every other year it just has to be done back there.
    I did get a quote for that. They wanted just over $2,100 for both sides and then couldn't guarantee they wouldn't damage the wiring and controls for the ramp, door etc.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Get another quote from someone else and compare. Certainly living in winter climates where the roads are salted is harsh on cars but being an '05 surprises me that it is rusting like that already. Also, if fixed correctly it should hold up well. That said, there are certain models where there are design flaws, for lack of a better description, where certain models are prone to have issues in certain areas.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I have the same problem. It seems like the conversion process ruined whatever OEM rustproofing was on there. I just ignore it to be honest.

Hi Tom,
    What conversion package do you have on the 2005 Dodge? I would contact them and complain. May not get you anywhere, but they should know they have an unhappy client. If they won't/can't do anything, they may have suggestions.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by TomRL View Post
    I did get a quote for that. They wanted just over $2,100 for both sides and then couldn't guarantee they wouldn't damage the wiring and controls for the ramp, door etc.
    I would get a couple more quotes but 2k sounds about right. If you plan to keep the van for an extended period of time you should address the issue sooner than later because rust is like cancer and will continue to spread.

Chrysler products have a five year rust warranty, as do most of the others including my Toyota minivan. I understand that GM gives 6 years on some vehicles but also there have been a lot of complaints about dealers not delivering. My brother lives in snowy NY state and seems to hold off the rust at least a couple years longer than most by driving them through a car wash every chance he gets during the winter.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

We had a 1995 Ford Contour until 2007 that was never parked in a garage and put up with MN winters without a speck of rust. My husband used it a lot the last few years when he worked out of town as easier on gas than his truck. It also was abused by tow teenagers. It really was a good little car RIP.
    A kid taking automotive class bought it for his project because it had no rust.