Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Medicare suppliment plans for disabled under 65?

  1. #1

    Medicare suppliment plans for disabled under 65?

    I know it vary's state by state, but anybody know of any good suppliment's that cover the 20 percent that medicare does not cover. It seems like a real problem this sort of thing these day's, use to not be a issue getting this sort of coverage, but if a person is under 65 y/o and has medicare disability (an obvious pre-existing condition and red flag for them I guess) they don't want to offer coverage. Just trying to sort out the options here in Rhode Island for my girlfriend who is 57, has fibromyalgia and medicare coverage. They already denied her blue X of R.I due to a pre-existing condition. Not sure where to go from here. Checked with Humana and they say they don't offer coverage for medigap for those under 65. I believe Blue X has a open enrollment for medigap mid October to Jan 1st, but that does not do us any good right now. Move this post life mods if need be, was not sure which forum to post this one on.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jonna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wherever I go, there I am.
    Posts
    165
    Not sure if this will help but you might want to try "Find Your State" at www.pcip.gov or call 1-866-717-5826 (TTY 1-866-561-1604) 8am -11pm Eastern Time. This will give you info about "Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plans" created by the Affrordable Care Act (is available to children and adults in all 50 states plus the District of Columbia). Going to "Find Your State" or calling will give you info about your state's eligibility requirements and how to apply.

    If that doesn't help, you can look to see if your state offers a Community Assistance Program (CAP; go to www.healthcare.gov/consumerhelp). 30 states have received funding under the ACA to provide assistance for persons having difficulty with their helath insurance and to answer questions about their coverage. The website can also direct you to other resources that may be helpful.

    Best of luck.

    (The info above comes from p. 5 of the May/June 2011 issue of Stroke Connection magazine, a publication of the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.)
    Do not confuse silence with consent or fatigue for indifference.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    last house on the left
    Posts
    9,791
    I use Blue Cross/Blue Shield Medex plan as my supplemental. Never had a problem with them. In MA. it is illegal for discrimination against those under 65 IF they already have Medicare.

  4. #4
    Thank's for the ideas Jonna and Eileen. Mass is great as far as healthcare goes, the medicare suppliment is comprehensive and available there for those with preexisting conditions and on medicare under 65, in R.I for some reason they do have the right to deny coverage for the suppliment when someone has medicare and is under 65. The suppliment is reasonable in MA too @ $189.00 per month, in Fla the same coverage is $428.00 per month and in Texas it is like $900.00 per month. Huge variation's for some reason.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

  5. #5
    Senior Member jschism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Posts
    2,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Thank's for the ideas Jonna and Eileen. Mass is great as far as healthcare goes, the medicare suppliment is comprehensive and available there for those with preexisting conditions and on medicare under 65, in R.I for some reason they do have the right to deny coverage for the suppliment when someone has medicare and is under 65. The suppliment is reasonable in MA too @ $189.00 per month, in Fla the same coverage is $428.00 per month and in Texas it is like $900.00 per month. Huge variation's for some reason.
    that doesn't make sense since medicare is a federal program, one would think all the states have the same rules, unlike medicaid which is state run.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    that doesn't make sense since medicare is a federal program, one would think all the states have the same rules, unlike medicaid which is state run.
    Medicare is a federal program but the suppliment which pay's the 20 percent medicare does not cover is done State by State.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    last house on the left
    Posts
    9,791
    Check out AARP to see if they offer coverage. I use them for my part D Medicare coverage, but I think they might offer supplemental insurance too, and they do not care what age you are if you are already on Medicare.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Medicare is a federal program but the suppliment which pay's the 20 percent medicare does not cover is done State by State.
    or by employer. my supplemental plan thru boeing is Aetna. not cheap, though, and no pre-existing crap as it is through my employer, well, ex employer. they pay scripts and 20%, but catch is, if medicare denies, they do too. it's not a fun place to be.

    i'm not too happy w/medicare either. i'm not getting supplies i need and got under my employer's ins. not good.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Check out AARP to see if they offer coverage. I use them for my part D Medicare coverage, but I think they might offer supplemental insurance too, and they do not care what age you are if you are already on Medicare.
    actually no, I called you have to 50 to qualify for their supp plan.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    last house on the left
    Posts
    9,791
    Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    actually no, I called you have to 50 to qualify for their supp plan.
    I guess my "over 50" status is now on record!

Similar Threads

  1. Medicare suppliment or Medicaid?
    By bcsimpsons in forum Work, School, & Money
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 01:54 PM
  2. Medicare Advantage Plans
    By darkeyed_daisy in forum Life
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-26-2008, 07:00 PM
  3. Medicare MediGap Plans
    By rdf in forum Care
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2006, 08:27 PM
  4. Medicare presciption plans
    By alan in forum Life
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 01:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •