Thread: car and repairs

car and repairs

so most of us will need to drive adpated cars here but my question is what happens when you bring it into the shop and its going to be a few hours to days without the car?

i drive with a left foot accelerator but the thing needs to clip into a mounted part.

was looking at this http://www.plfa.org/ but dont know if that's considered legal?
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

Quote Originally Posted by jerkens View Post
    so most of us will need to drive adpated cars here but my question is what happens when you bring it into the shop and its going to be a few hours to days without the car?
    1) rent a car with handcontrols
    2) bring laptop to the shop and hangout
    3) have a friend pick you up

Quote Originally Posted by LooseCannon View Post
    1) rent a car with handcontrols
    2) bring laptop to the shop and hangout
    3) have a friend pick you up
    4) or family

That about sums it up. And, if you use a power chair and need a ramp/lift on a van to go anywhere you need to rent an accessible van ($$$$) or be prepared to stay home.
    NL and I had to go to a funeral about 150 miles from home. Before we got to the funeral (we were in the town), we had trouble with the van. It died on the freeway (NL managed to get off on a freeway exit, coasting all the way and then a CHP (Calif Highway Patrol) car pushed us the rest of the way off of the ramp and into the parking lot of a shopping center. From there we call the auto club and they came out (at our request) with a Jeri-Dan flat top transporter. I stayed in the van, locked into the rider's side, the tow truck driver got the van up onto the flat bed and off we went to the only auto shop in town that was open. This was a Saturday afternoon, and NL was trying to make contingency plans for us to either stay over night or rent a car (leave my power chair at the auto shop) and come home (spare chair at home) and then she would drive back to the town on Monday. Long story longer, the auto shop wasn't a rip off and the folks there were great. A water pump was failing. After the van cooled off, it started again, the mechanic ran it up and down the freeway and declared that he thought we could risk driving it home. We did, had one problem on the way home, but the van started again and we got home without another incident. Harrowing experience!!!! Good story value now, but at the time
    The ride in the van on top of the flat top was (for those of you old enough to understand the reference) an "E" ticket!!!

All the best,
    GJ

Our van place is really good about it. They will come pick up the van from our house and take it back in, fix it and bring it back. If its going to be more than a day long job the come to the house with a loaner to pick up our van. This is just with a ramp, no hand controls or anything though.

Take the bus, or handivan and leave it overnight.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by jerkens View Post

i drive with a left foot accelerator but the thing needs to clip into a mounted part.

was looking at this http://www.plfa.org/ but dont know if that's considered legal?
    I bet that would be legal...Can not say for certain but if my portable hand controls are that should be...