Thread: Did more than I thought I could

Did more than I thought I could

The Larosa Loop was Saturday. It went really well! Through a mishap we ended up starting in the wrong place and instead of the three miles I was going to do we ended up doing four and a bit over.

By the end I was leaving a blue trail behind me- all curses. I could have given people mental distress lol My right arm decided it wanted to stop so it locked up and I ended up finishing the loop with my shoulder instead. Not ideal and not something I'd do again if I had the choice- there was nothing else to be done but to finish.

Very frustrating to tell my body to do one thing and it just will.not.do.it- just refuses to listen. Like having a body controlled by a cranky two year old.

There were tons of people there and it was very very worth it. It felt good to know I pushed through and completed my promise to earn people's pledges. I was one of ten or so chair users and that felt good too. Didn't feel so 'other'. Also- I got to talk to the local adaptive rowing team and that was incredible. I might end up rowing and that's a whole new world right there. Very exciting!

Dunno if I posted this in the right place but I didn't have anyone else to tell about it to that would understand. Some AB friends of mine were like 'four miles, that's all?'. Four miles in a chair on hills is big- really huge for me! Plus, not being the only person in a chair was really awesome too! Checking out everyone's specs and choices was really fun.

Way to go BlueRing! 4+ miles in a chair is a marathon! Hard, I think, for ABs to get that you're moving your body weight plus the weight of a chair with small muscles (vs the bigger leg/butt muscles).

Hope you were able to take in all the good vibes from people cheering for you.

(I think everyone, at least once in their lifetime, should experience the cheer of a crowd.)
    Do not confuse silence with consent or fatigue for indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonna View Post

Way to go BlueRing! 4+ miles in a chair is a marathon! Hard, I think, for ABs to get that you're moving your body weight plus the weight of a chair with small muscles (vs the bigger leg/butt muscles).

Hope you were able to take in all the good vibes from people cheering for you.

(I think everyone, at least once in their lifetime, should experience the cheer of a crowd.)

Thanks for the 'waving' ovation! It really was a beast! My Husband is a cyclist so when we figured I did four miles he wasn't impressed. Proud of me, but not impressed. I would have to tow a camper or something to impress him I think haha

There were a few people who gave me 'attaboys' as they passed me. I must have looked like I needed it It did help too.

Well I'm impressed-tell the people that weren't to give it a try.
    Towing a camper. That is a funny example.
    Meeting other people and the "attaboys" made the day worth it.
    Good job!

Thanks Linda If I ever tow a camper I'll take pics for you

Odd thing now is that I have a large bruise on my tailbone. It's bigger than my hand but not too dark- more just discolored. I wonder if I hurt myself during the Loop and didn't notice. There were a few curbs I had to pop down but nothing jarring really. Perhaps too much shearing from leaning forward and back while pushing. I'm such a noob sometimes. Sigh.