Thread: Pressure sore Q?

Pressure sore Q?

I have no feeling or movement in lower leg but am walking OK with AFO. I have noticed a 2-3 cm diameter area on the back of my heel (the AFO is lateral and anterior so no contact on the heel) that is red with what looks like blood blisters but no broken skin. Its been there about 3wks now and getting a little puffier as time goes on. Also some of my toes look red and swollen and there are red spots on the ball of my foot. Is this anything to worry about? I'm 2 yrs post injury and have had no problems before, same old shoes. Not sure if 'pressure sores' occur if you are relatively active?

Yes, these sound like pressure sores to me and they should be taken very seriously.

The first order of business to start them healing is to get any pressure off of them completely and keep it off until they are healed. That means no AFO, no standing and no walking, as well as preventing your heel from resting on the surface of your bed, wheelchair foot rests, etc. No pressure whatsoever until they are healed.

I would also put some sort of protective covering loosely over the blistered area as added protection against accidental shearing or rubbing that might cause those blisters to break. Whatever covering is use should be able to be easily removed and replaced so you can do skin checks on the sores at least twice every day.

Bulk up on your protein intake and, if you're not already, take a multivitamin daily.

A picture is worth more than a thousand words when it comes to offering advice on wounds and skin damage. Would it be possible for you to post some pics or, if you'd rather not go public, send them to the SCI-Nurse? (There are instructions on how to do that in this sticky post near the top of the Care forum.)

Once you get healed/while you're recovering, you need to figure out what caused these to develop and take whatever steps are necessary (different shoes? adjusted or new AFO? less time spent in the current AFO/shoes without taking a break/pressure relief?) to make sure there's no recurrence.

Disclaimer: Not a medical professional -- my advice is based on personal experience and advice given in this forum to previous posters with pressure sore concerns.

Best wishes for speedy and thorough healing, and no encores.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Tks for the info. I also found the pictures on the pressure sore guidelines in the sticky topics of this forum which are also very helpful.

You could be getting a cellulitis, so please go get it checked out asap. The fact that it has "spread" is concerning. Please make sure that you get to the doctor asap.
    Make sure that you drink plenty and that you eat enough protein.
    CKF

Tks for the info. Can't get in to a dr for a week, but will keep and eye on it. Still no skin breakage or open sores so thats probably a good sign. Not sure that its so much spread as there seem to be a number of discrete spots. Its almost like my shoes have suddenly got to tight... which might be due to my toes starting to curl under and my arch getting higher. Could it be that the tendons are starting to shorten as the muscles atrophy more?

I do drink plenty and eat well - training up to 20 hours a week so need to keep on top of hydration and nutrition.

I just wanted to give you a heads up, I had a sore on my heel that took six months to heal up. I kept all pressure off of it and even cut out the back of one of my shoes so there was no pressure there. The only time it healed was after I started elevating my foot all the time, unless I was moving of course. Take care of it and hold a blister closed as long as possible. Good luck getting rid of it
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Well, turns out the heel is probably the start of a pressure sore so will need to try and keep the pressure off it. Hard to tell which shoes are OK and which aren't so will have to experiment a bit. Have just had a new AFO made just for cycling and will be getting new shoes which will hopefully help unload the heel area a bit better than my current AFO/shoe setup.

Funny - all the other red spots/swelling etc are just chillblains. Never had chillblains in my life so there you go, guess I'll have to stock up on some warmer socks for riding on our frosty mornings (winter here now).

Well, turns out the heel is probably the start of a pressure sore so will need to try and keep the pressure off it. Hard to tell which shoes are OK and which aren't so will have to experiment a bit.
    You do mean you'll experiment with shoes, etc. *after* you've kept all pressure off of it until this current spot is totally healed, don't you?
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

I know its an old post but same topic. The pressure sore took about 6 weeks to heal back in 2009 and haven't had a repeat, but as soon as the weather chills off and we start getting frosts my toes swell and get chillblains. Last year it ended up with cellulitis and took a hefty dose of antibiotics and some TLC to get it cleared up.

Now, after just 1 week of cold weather, the chillblains are back, worse than ever. So other than wearing warm socks, keeping out of the worse of the cold weather and avoiding hot baths/showers does anyone have any other tips?