Thread: enabled minivan

enabled minivan

I am a C4 incomplete and enough ability that driving is possible . I am 6'2" and barely fit the Honda Odessey and clearance is a problem with the underground parking for some other quads that live in the same building. Any advice or references?

Hi "TJT,"
    Welcome to Care Cure Community.
    I am 6'4", C-6/7 quad and use an Invacare TDX-SP power chair (with one of the lower profile Roho cushions). I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey with a VMI (Vantage Mobility International) conversion package. I not only have more headroom in the Odyssey, but because of the design of the windshield, I have much more visibility than I had in either my Dodge Caravan or Ford Windstar. I can clear the van doorway up the ramp without having to tilt my head like I had to in my other vans. Of all of the minivans, the Odyssey has the most headroom.
    I am wondering what kind of chair you have and what kind of cushion. It sounds to me as if you have been fitted into a chair that sits you up very high to manage foot clearance, and you may also be sitting on a high profile cushion. Do you have a problem getting under tables and desks too?
    I agree that standard sized vans can be difficult to use in older parking garages that don't meet ADA standards. My first van was a Ford Econoline 150 and underground garage parking was a nightmare 28 years ago.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Hi "TJT,"
    Welcome to Care Cure Community.
    I am 6'4", C-6/7 quad and use an Invacare TDX-SP power chair (with one of the lower profile Roho cushions). I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey with a VMI (Vantage Mobility International) conversion package. I not only have more headroom in the Odyssey, but because of the design of the windshield, I have much more visibility than I had in either my Dodge Caravan or Ford Windstar. I can clear the van doorway up the ramp without having to tilt my head like I had to in my other vans. Of all of the minivans, the Odyssey has the most headroom.
    I am wondering what kind of chair you have and what kind of cushion. It sounds to me as if you have been fitted into a chair that sits you up very high to manage foot clearance, and you may also be sitting on a high profile cushion. Do you have a problem getting under tables and desks too?
    I agree that standard sized vans can be difficult to use in older parking garages that don't meet ADA standards. My first van was a Ford Econoline 150 and underground garage parking was a nightmare 28 years ago.

All the best,
    GJ
    Like GJ, I am fair sized at 6'3", C5-C6 quad and also use a TDX-SP. I drive a 2010 Chrysler T & C and have no head room problem. I use a high-profile Roho cushion. In my driving position, I have about 5 - 6 inches of head clearance and never have to duck to enter the van.

When I first started to get assessed to drive from my chair, I first had to get a different chair. I was using a Jazzy 1121 which was too high. My TDX-SP will get me low enough and will raise to get locked into my Sure-Lock system. We don't have anywhere close by with underground parking so I wouldn't have that problem anyway.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by TJT View Post
    I am a C4 incomplete and enough ability that driving is possible . I am 6'2" and barely fit the Honda Odessey and clearance is a problem with the underground parking for some other quads that live in the same building. Any advice or references?
    I am surprised that you do not fit in the Odyssey. Although I am only 6'1" I have inches to spare in my Toyota IMS Rampvan. Does that Odyssey have a lowered floor and what kind of chair/cushion are you using?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/