Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brooke Ellison Interview after 8:00 pm Sat May 14 at Rutgers and Honorary Degree

Brooke Ellison Interview after 8:00 pm Sat May 14 at Rutgers and Honorary Degree

I interviewed Brooke Ellison for 28 minutes. It is a wonderful interview and well worth seeing. It will be posted after 8 pm tonight. I am so proud of her.
    http://www.rutgers.tv/breakfast-barracks-season-two

Brooke Mackenzie Ellison will be receiving an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters at Rutgers tomorrow at commencement.
    Ellison’s unique and inspirational life has been widely covered in major media. Although paralyzed from the neck down and dependent on a ventilator since she was hit by a car at 11, Ellison is an accomplished and respected public speaker, educator, author and consultant producer of two motion pictures. She is also one of the nation’s most knowledgeable and articulate spokespersons in the area of stem cell research.

After nearly a year of hospitalization, Ellison returned home and focused on her education, and in 2000, 10 years later, she graduated magna cum laude from Harvard with a degree in cognitive neuroscience. She later earned a master’s degree in public policy from Harvard’s John F. Kennedy School of Government. In 2002, she and her mother published the Brooke Ellison Story documenting the family’s experiences from the accident through Harvard graduation. In 2007, she founded and became president of The Brooke Ellison Project, which works to promote the awareness, potential, acceptance and support of stem cell research. Her advocacy has led to gubernatorial appointments to the New York State Spinal Cord Injury Research Board and the Ethics Committee of the Empire State Stem Cell Research Board.

Ellison is a doctoral student in sociology at Stony Brook University and is on the faculty at the university’s Center for Medical Humanities, Compassionate Care and Bioethics. She has given generously of her time in advocacy on behalf of the work of the W.M. Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience at Rutgers.

Others receiving honorary degrees include Nobel Laureate Toni Morrison and Ernesto J. Cortex, Jr. (co-director of the National Non-profit Industrial Areas Foundation).
    Last edited by Wise Young; 05-16-2011 at 07:03 AM.

Wow, that is an impressive resume. I will be checking it out for sure.
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

I cannot wait to see this. Two people I greatly admire and respect.

Amazing woman. I too would like to see the interview.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Wow, makes me wish I had the money, sitting stamina, reliable attendant coverage etc. to go back to university again and again. Brooke Ellison makes me feel seriously inadequate. I'll be watching with interest though; we need more quads in the public eye.

I would love to meet her.

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    Amazing woman. I too would like to see the interview.
    Her interview stunned me. I am honored to have been the person asking the questions and I am not usually moved to tears. http://www.rutgers.tv/breakfast-barr...n-2-episode-37

She gave an equally amazing talk at the dinner that we held for her in the evening. I was really proud that the President of Rutgers presented a citation to Jean Ellison for her role. She was truly surprised and I wish that I had the presence of mind to have recorded that on camera.

In a few hours, I will put on my academic regalia and march in procession to honor Brooke.

Wise.

That's a powerful video, Wise. Thanks for posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Her interview stunned me. I am honored to have been the person asking the questions and I am not usually moved to tears. http://www.rutgers.tv/breakfast-barr...n-2-episode-37

She gave an equally amazing talk at the dinner that we held for her in the evening. I was really proud that the President of Rutgers presented a citation to Jean Ellison for her role. She was truly surprised and I wish that I had the presence of mind to have recorded that on camera.

In a few hours, I will put on my academic regalia and march in procession to honor Brooke.

Wise.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Wise, thank you so much for posting your interview with Brooke. She, and you, are both amazing people. I hope the graduation festivities are great fun!

An amazing interview with some wonderful answers.
    She rightly puts more responsibility for progress on all of our shoulders.
    Thanks so much for doing it and posting!
    Carl